Red Spotted Goby dead!

vsecret

okay so I have a 55g and had it for a few years - but now my mother saw at the LFS that I go to a little 1g - yes one gallon - tank with a few coral frags, small shrimp, emerald crab, and small (one inch) goby, so she had to have it.
SO on that note, I have been helping her take care of it- doing the water tests and stuff.
Well her water tests are near perfect, it has been running for about 5 months now. The cleaner shrimp, crab, and corals are doing great! (when things get too big, shes just moving them into my tank.
Well she has added her first goby and over night it died and I found the crab munching on it. What do you think happened? It is about 1/2 inch long, so its tiny, and the water is good, do you think the crab coulda killed it because it was just hiding behind the rocks? It was hiding beause the shrimp kept wanting to clean it.
Any help would be great because my mother is getting really discouraged and this is a wonderful hobby and I do not want her to throw it all away!

vsecret

I'm thinking of trading her the emerald crab for a small hermit crab. She has 3 snails in her tank. Do you think she even needs a crab?

btldreef

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3275863
I'm thinking of trading her the emerald crab for a small hermit crab. She has 3 snails in her tank. Do you think she even needs a crab?
I wouldn't. I did away with all my crabs in the 14G because they just create chaos and kill the snails, etc. If she wants a small crab, try a Boxer Crab (Pom Pom Crab), although you barely see them during the day. Mine is very active at night, but I'm sure my pistol shrimp will find him sooner or later.