Red Starfish Help

My LFS today had several very small bright red starfish..he said they were on special...$15.00 but thats all he new (as usual)
anyone have any ideas...They were quite awesome....but never buy what I dont know about.

ophiura

Small bright red starfish are usually Fromia milleporella. Most will die in our tanks, especially in the first month. Most I see at the LFS are starting to disintegrate from the arm tips. Typically they can not be spot fed and require a mature reef tanks with 100lbs of LR *minimum* Don't let the small size fool you.
Without a picture, though, it is impossible to tell for sure.

sharkbait09

i have had my red starfish for aproxomatley 4 months in my 12 gallon with no problems at all he seems very healthy and moves around alot heres a pic of mine... is this what that one looks like????
Attachment 225176

ophiura

The first pic is Fromia milleporella - don't even consider, IMO, in less than a 6 month old established reef with 100 lbs of LR. Most, IME, will die of acclimation shock or starvation. Again, don't let the small size fool you. The diet may be even more specialized than Linckia stars.
Success with seastars is measured in years, not months I'm afraid. Especially for Fromia, Linckia and relatives. Many will appear to be fine and be dying.
The second star is very different - it is highly predatory Red African star (Protoreaster linckii) and gets very large. It can be spot fed, and it will in time consume snails, corals, clams, scallops, etc.. It will get too large for a 12 gallon. Absolutely it needs to be fed.

sharkbait09

lol you beat me to the pic (it took me a long time to try to remember how to post a pic)
ya all i have in that tank is the star fish and live rock
i feed him everyother day and i feed him frozen shrimp

ophiura

I would suggest altering the diet. Cleaned frozen shrimp are not going to provide enough diversity. So at least add clam, mussel, etc.