Red Stuff Growing

smooth_9

Hello, and I hope you all are having a wonderful Holiday weekend.
I have a Red(Burgandy) colored growth thats growing on top of the gravel its growing in the front, left side of the tank. looks like some sort of algie maybe. Its kind of like a web of it. Is this good or bad growth. Any feedback will be helpful.
Thanks SMooTH;)

T

thomas712

Sounds like you might have cynobacteria growing in there. What are your water paramiters? Lighting?
does it come off real easy? sortof dusty or peal from the substrate?
Thomas

spsfreak100

Originally posted by smooth_9
Yes it does kind of peal from the gravel

Yep, sounds like Cyano bacteria. The proper name for Red Slime is Cyano Bacteria. Red Slime is not a true algae, hence Cyano bacteria.
Cyano Bacteria is commonly caused by a high phosphate level, high nutrient level, low oxygen level or high biological level. Elevated phosphates can easily trigger unwanted outbreaks of this bacteria. High nutrient levels in the water also play a role in the Bacteria growth. A low Flow rate also helps the bacteria spread very easily, without being blasted off the rocks and/or substrate. Cyanobacteria also has a very hard time staying alive in oxygen rich water with good flow. Cyano must reach anaerobic levels to live.
The best method of removel is to always use Reverse Osmosis (RO, or possibly RO/DI) water and possibly a phosphate sponge. This will eliminate any harmfull chemicals going into your water column and causing a problem. A phosphate test kit would really come in handy to see if your tank has phosphate.
It would also help to know what kind of lighting you're currently using, and how old that lighting is. Aged lighting could easily cause some Cyano growth to form around your tank.
More information on your tank setup should really help, esspecially your flow rate and tank demensions. Also, when did you start up the tank, when did the cyano bacteria start? Did you do any changes in anything prior to the outbreak?
Graham

smooth_9

Hello I have 2-250 watt MH 12 inches from the water on a 55 gallon tank. I will be checking water today.
Thanks