red stuff on Yellow Gorgonian

perfectdark

Originally Posted by candycane
My suggestion, which I wouldn't take LOL, would be to leave it alone. The thing that still makes it look good to me, is the polyps are still out even over this stuff. The color appears to be very similar if not an exact match to the polyp structures. It's not really odd to see a coral alter it's colors as it grows to these same colors.

Unfortunatly that advise will spell disaster for that coral. Other than the yellow flesh and the red dotted areas where the polyps come out from there should be no other discoloration on the specimine. The endoskeleton of the yellow gorg is red and typically necrosis exposes this, in the early stages it is seen as above and the harmful bacteria if left on attaches firmly and cannot be removed so clipping is your only course of action.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Hefner413
where do you find them? SWF only has yellow and red. My LFS only gets yellows.
My LFS get all sorts in all the time although one of FS is not knowledgable about the species at all. So you have to buy them as soon as they come in or they look like trash in about a week. My other LFS gets a lot of blueberry gorg, very difficult species to keep, and occasionally reds and yellows.
If you search the internet you can find places that sell them.

renogaw

miscounted fish, sry
your major problem is most likely due to lack of circulation in your tank. what powerhead do you have? what is it's gph?

lexluethar

I agree with reno... Front that list you provided you don't have enough flow. I also have a 29 gallon and not even a fourth of the stock that you have and I have three PH. Although adding PH's will not cure the problem of the algea, more flow + less livestock and feeding will equate to less algea.
You cyno is probably accumulating where you have the least amount of flow, purchase a few more PH and get some more flow in that 29 gallon.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by renogaw
miscounted fish, sry
your major problem is most likely due to lack of circulation in your tank. what powerhead do you have? what is it's gph?

I agree too.. but I do believe its a combination of 2 not enough flow and over stocked. 5 fish in a tank that size which im guessing is a cube so that means 24 gal in the DT area. I still think this is a contributer to your problem, but not the only one.

matt b

ok well im gonna spread all my stuff thru out my other nanos like all my corall and all my fish but the Cardinals and add more powerheads and just let it go and then slowly add more coral and 1 more fish

renogaw

I dunno on the overstocked...
5 small fish in a tank that size seems strange to be overstocked. as long as there aren't ammonia or nitrite problems...

matt b

heres new stcok list
4 x 36w
2 x 60mm Fans
1 x R2 5LED Moonlight
3 x 10000k daylights
1 x actinic blue light
Bangaii Cardinal: 2
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 5
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 5
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 10
Nasssarius Snail: 15
Queen Conch - Aquacultured: 2
Cleaner Clam - : 2
Pistol Shrimp - Bullseye: 1
Cleaner Shrimp: 1
Lettuce Nudibranch: 1
Abalone - Aquacultured: 1
and ima get 2 more powerheads and let it go for a month

perfectdark

Originally Posted by renogaw
I dunno on the overstocked...
5 small fish in a tank that size seems strange to be overstocked. as long as there aren't ammonia or nitrite problems...

Isnt the cyano an indicator of nitrates.. dont they typically follow each other? Not sure but the 2 times i had a cyano issue my trates were unusually high.

renogaw

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Isnt the cyano an indicator of nitrates.. dont they typically follow each other? Not sure but the 2 times i had a cyano issue my trates were unusually high.

nah, cyano is a big mixture of a lot of things. nitrates is a factor, as it would be of any algae growth though. without a good amount of flow though, anything can become a nitrate factory if it sits too long. that's why the best way of dealing with cyano is to make sure you don't have flow issues.
trates though can be high from a lot of reasons, mainly though because of no exporting by water changes or a fuge.

renogaw

Originally Posted by MaTT B
heres my info
nitrate 0
nitrite0.25
ammonia 0
ph 8.2
and im about to do a water change
well, ok... i guess since you have trites you have an issue with your fish. how much LR do you have though? how old is your tank?
I have an extra amount of fish in my 90 (my profile is a tad out of date :), but because i have almost 140lbs of rock in it i never have ammonia or nitrites.