Red vs Green variety of Gonipora???

eng50

Red vs standard Green variety??
I have come to understand that the red variety is actually quite a bit hardier than the green...Is this true??
Ref:Julian Sprung: Corals: A Quick Reference Guide
and several LFS as well
I have just recently purchased a red and it is due to arrive Tuesday. I am also told that the red do very poorly in shipping, but once acclimated if they make it do quite well. I did get a guarantee so I hope I didn't throw my money away!!
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!!

eng50

Yes I do!! Sorry to hear of your skeleton..hope mine doesnt end up that way, at least not for 12-18 mo anyway:eek:
We shall see what happens, if it does well, I will let everyone know..
Anyone have a Red Gonipora??

nm reef

Since you've got one on the way you may be interested in this info...gonipora success ...I've managed to keep a green one for close to 9 months now...I also have a few types of alveoporas that are doing excellant. Truth is my gonipora has begun to turn for the worse and its been going downhill since I set up my sump/skimmer. Previously the system was skimmerless with a large gravity return refugium system and the gonipora was in much better condition. Not positive that the skimmer has been responsible for the decline but I am personally convinced that I will not attempt another. :cool:

eng50

I had read that in the past, before I purchased I did many searches and found you posted that article in the past..excellent by the way!! That article did not address any differences in species, any thoughts/experiences??
I plan to try my best with it and we will see what happens..Do you know anyone that has had a red one?
Thanks for the responses..my research continues!!

nm reef

Everything I've seen and read indicates the red type are more hardy. I've never kept one but I have seen a few at my favorite LFS...and I've seen pics of red ones that have been posted on the web. I've got no experience with them...but my personal experience is indicating that this may be a coral that will never be adaptable to closed systems except in rare cases(red or green)....it is unfortunate too because they are beautiful corals and are readily available. But sadly long term success is rare...at best.Even when care is taken to provide the best probability for survival....:cool:

eng50

Thank you...I will do what I can and continue to research and provide the best care I can. Hopefully i will have a good level of sucess, if not, I will not contribute further to killing a beautiful species that may not be able to be kept. I wish to be responsible in this hobby and hope I have not made a mistake....