red worm with white hairs

cpluta118

Just glanced into my 10gal nano-reef and i saw a red worm with kind of a black insed with white hairs comming out of it in the sand up aginst the glass...it must have came from some of the live rock i got...i took it out. anybody know/heard/saw one of these worms b4?

9supratt4

Sounds to me like a bristle worm. Not harmful. Do a search on here.....you will find a TON of posts about them.

humblefishie

yes they are they will kill fish and corals. i got some rock it was infested and i had to wipe out the whole tank they got so bad. i have learn to check it and cure it befor putting anymore in my tank for that reason alone. gl

cpluta118

yep its a bristle worm, i dont want any "free riders" in my tank unless its some cool looking stuff on my liverocks lol. I threw him in the trash...thanks you guys.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by humblefishie
http:///forum/post/2926082
yes they are they will kill fish and corals. i got some rock it was infested and i had to wipe out the whole tank they got so bad. i have learn to check it and cure it befor putting anymore in my tank for that reason alone. gl
Bristle worms will not kill a fish or coral. They are scavengers. If you had worms that were killing things they were not bristle worms.
The only time a bristle worm will go after something is after it is dead or is close to dying.
Bristle worms IMO are beneficial scavengers and are a "free" clean up crew.
Originally Posted by cpluta118

yep its a bristle worm, i dont want any "free riders" in my tank unless its some cool looking stuff on my liverocks lol. I threw him in the trash...thanks you guys.
If you have one then you have a lot more. Take a look at your tank at night when the lights are off and I guarantee that you will see more.
But like I said....bristle worms will eat detritus and left over food that your othe livestock didn't eat. Trust me....and others with more experience than me will most likely agree that bristle worms will not kill fish or coral.

mr_x

they are good for your tank and will not eat corals and fish. i would not get rid of them. btw- if you see alot of them, it's because you are over feeding. cut back on your feeding, and you'll see less worms.

cpluta118

so far havnt noticed ne more but i will keep a watchful eye out for them. Do they come out more at nite or day?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by cpluta118
http:///forum/post/2933791
so far havnt noticed ne more but i will keep a watchful eye out for them. Do they come out more at nite or day?
Night mostly... If you found 1 you can bet there are more in the tank..I used to have alot but a Wrasse I used to have ate most of them.. They are just now getting the population back up..

Step one: Go to trash can
Step two: Pull out bristle worm
Step three: SHIP IT TO ME!
I see all these lucky people getting a bristle worm with their LR and all I got was an ammonia spike. That's like your friends getting the secret surprise in their cereal box and I got was a dirt clod.

florida joe

with all due respect to the other posters. this is a repost of one of my old posts
Of course as educated hobbyists (which I am sure your are one) we must be able to distinguish the good bristle worms from the bad. We would certainly not want to introduce the Hermodice carunculata
(Bearded Fire worm) into our tanks if we keep corals knowing that
Fire worms are voracious predators that feed on soft and hard corals, anemones, and small crustaceans. It will engulf the last few centimeters of the tip of a branching coral, such as Acropora cervicornis (staghorn coral), in its inflated pharynx and remove the coral tissue from that portion of the skeleton. The worm will remain 5-10 minutes at each branch tip, visiting several, and the branches attacked are apparent by their white ends.
The effects of predation on certain groups can be substantial. Witman (1988) calculated that tissue predation by this worm on Milleporid Hydrocorals (fire coral) exposed 12.9 cm2 per 1 m2 per day of skeleton to algal colonization.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2934086
with all due respect to the other posters. this is a repost of one of my old posts
Of course as educated hobbyists (which I am sure your are one) we must be able to distinguish the good bristle worms from the bad. We would certainly not want to introduce the Hermodice carunculata
(Bearded Fire worm) into our tanks if we keep corals knowing that
Fire worms are voracious predators that feed on soft and hard corals, anemones, and small crustaceans. It will engulf the last few centimeters of the tip of a branching coral, such as Acropora cervicornis (staghorn coral), in its inflated pharynx and remove the coral tissue from that portion of the skeleton. The worm will remain 5-10 minutes at each branch tip, visiting several, and the branches attacked are apparent by their white ends.
The effects of predation on certain groups can be substantial. Witman (1988) calculated that tissue predation by this worm on Milleporid Hydrocorals (fire coral) exposed 12.9 cm2 per 1 m2 per day of skeleton to algal colonization.
This is very true!! What led me to believe that it was a bristleworm was that it was red with "black inside". Most Fireworms are bright orange with bright white hairs.. Also in IDing worms it is almost impossible to ID without a close up of the head/mouth region

florida joe

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2934145
This is very true!! What led me to believe that it was a bristleworm was that it was red with "black inside". Most Fireworms are bright orange with bright white hairs.. Also in IDing worms it is almost impossible to ID without a close up of the head/mouth region
Can you please just for old times sake say THIS IS VERY TRUE once more