RedSea MAX 250

charlotte515

I'm a new guy, only experience is a 10 gal tank I bought for my daughter, now I'm intrigued. I'm trying to decide on a saltwater tank. I have a space restriction of 38" wide. Local shop is recomending this system.
Anyone with an opinion of this setup?
Thanks,
David

keith burn

imo i do not like box setups.
the skimmer looks small and most box sets the filter sys is not that good.

jtt

i love it, and i want one so freakin bad. oh man, im not kidding dude, if i had the money i would get it in a heartbeat.

charlotte515

Thanks for the replies.
My concerns are as I get further into the hobby I do not want to go thru the endless upgrades to equipment as my learning curve improves. Based on Keith's response the systems may not be sized correctly. This will be a reef setup.
These are the specs listed, any other comments?
Dimensions (LxWxH) 960 x 552 x 665 mm (38 x 21 x 26.2”)
Total water volume 250 liters (65 gallons)
Glass thickness 10 mm (0.4")
Cabinet (LxWxH) 960 x 552 x 800 mm (38 x 21 x 32”)
Lighting 6 x 39W T5 Linear
Lighting- 10,000k 117W
Lighting- Actinic 117W
Lighting- Blue LED 8
Lighting timer Analogue
Hood opening 3 positions
Circulation Pumps 1 x 1200 lph & 1 x 2400 lph
(320 gph & 640 gph)
Skimmer water throughput 1000 lph (240 gph)
Skimmer max Air flow 300 lph (80 gph)
Skimmer foam adjuster
Heater Wattage 200W
Mechanical filter
Biological Filtration (active surface area) 420m²/ l (1,200 sq ft/gal)
Activated Carbon 400g (14 oz)
Power centre 5 outlets
Water Cooling Fans (dual fan unit)

sueandherzoo

I was researching and eagerly waiting for this tank to hit the states a few months ago because I was totally convinced that it's what I wanted as my Christmas gift, but as I got closer to actually biting the bullet and ordering it I backed off. I still think it's an AMAZING set-up and probably one of the best (and biggest) Plug and Plays out there, but the price is outrageous. You can get so much more for so much less if you are prepared to build it yourself. Also, being a newbie (as I still am, too) I think it's better to build the system and learn how and why everything works rather than just unloading the box and plugging things in.
If you don't mind spending the money and are looking for a simple way to get started, it might be the right purchase for you.
Sue

spiderwoman

Dimensions, glass thickness and type of cabinet makes are of no importance here.
Lighting, you'll most likely want something else and retrofitting the lid is going to be difficult. You can get the MH lights for it, but expect to spend at least $500 (sorry that was for the 34g version, so expect to spend even more) if you want to keep the tank looking exactly the same. Otherwise you have to take the lid off and either hang the fixture down or use fixture with legs.
Circulatation is not enough IMO, and skimmer needs to go.
IMO this setup is not worth my money, I have their RSM 34g which I do love. Anything larger than a nano I prefer building from ground up.
Just my $0.02 worth.

oceansidefish

Personally I would rather pay to get a custom leemar tank built that will fit your space. You would be able to pick all of your equipment and It would IMO be less hassle in the long run.

charlotte515

Thanks all, the lighting is my biggest concern at this point. I would be willing to add filtration and skiming capacity but would hate to also have to upgrade the lights.
I am sold on the design and footprint.

efrank

The points made on the lighting don't make sence. With 6 T5 bulbs on a 55gl tank (the other 10 gals are in the back and are not lit) why would you have to upgrade the lighting? The lighting on this one is much better then the lighting on the 34gl.
I just got one of these and am curing LR now. I bought it for the footprint and am happy with it. The only addition I made is a PH in the bottom rear of the tank. Also, the price is comparable with what a 55gl would cost if you factor in stand, cap, and equipment. Pull the trigger.

charlotte515

Originally Posted by Efrank
http:///forum/post/2956942
The points made on the lighting don't make sence. With 6 T5 bulbs on a 55gl tank (the other 10 gals are in the back and are not lit) why would you have to upgrade the lighting? The lighting on this one is much better then the lighting on the 34gl.
I just got one of these and am curing LR now. I bought it for the footprint and am happy with it. The only addition I made is a PH in the bottom rear of the tank. Also, the price is comparable with what a 55gl would cost if you factor in stand, cap, and equipment. Pull the trigger.
I went to the local shop today and they had sold the only one they had, where did you get yours? The local shop is a cluster I could not get an expected delivery date. Also what PH did you use? Again I am a new guy
so any details would be helpful. Thanks

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Efrank
http:///forum/post/2956942
The point is that not everybody likes T5, many want MH lights. When you go with a regular tank then you get to pick and chose what goes in the tank.
If you are happy with yours, that's great. I for one would want to change just about everything else in it.

stanlalee

it has T5's but they arent individually reflected so its kinda like having a nova extreme vs a mid level or high end T5 set up. This system would work well for all but the diehard SPS aquarium and is a fine piece of engineering UNTIL the pre-order price of $1630 and up. lets be real!
a brand new RR 75g and stand can be had for $400
+
22 gallon acrylic sump with superior built in ETSS sump buddy skimmer, return pump inclued for $450

+
a 48" 6 bulb TEK for with bulbs for $500

+
basic reefkeeper controller that does everything a RSM controls and more for $210

+
a pair of maxijet mods about $50 each although one provides better circulation than the RSM

thats about the same money (plus $30) for a system superior in every way: automation control, lighting, skimming, volume, circulation and I could have EASILY cut cost down by using a $60 standard 30 gallon for a sump and seperate $200 Octopus NW 200 or Vertex 180 skimmer, forgoing the reefkeeper controller with simple timer outlets. matter of fact I could cut cost everywhere, throw in a ATO and still have a superior system. If the RSM were $1000 it be the perfect set up for the money, for $1600+ its a tuff sell.

efrank

I got mine at my LFS for $1400 here in NJ. I like it alot, and best of all it doesn't look like a pet store in my house like it would if i had lights hanging over it ect.
I priced what I would want if I went the traditional way and the stand tank and cap alone were $1500.

charlotte515

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2957892
it has T5's but they arent individually reflected so its kinda like having a nova extreme vs a mid level or high end T5 set up. This system would work well for all but the diehard SPS aquarium and is a fine piece of engineering UNTIL the pre-order price of $1630 and up. lets be real!
a brand new RR 75g and stand can be had for $400
+
22 gallon acrylic sump with superior built in ETSS sump buddy skimmer, return pump inclued for $450

+
a 48" 6 bulb TEK for with bulbs for $500

+
basic reefkeeper controller that does everything a RSM controls and more for $210

+
a pair of maxijet mods about $50 each although one provides better circulation than the RSM

thats about the same money (plus $30) for a system superior in every way: automation control, lighting, skimming, volume, circulation and I could have EASILY cut cost down by using a $60 standard 30 gallon for a sump and seperate $200 Octopus NW 200 or Vertex 180 skimmer, forgoing the reefkeeper controller with simple timer outlets. matter of fact I could cut cost everywhere, throw in a ATO and still have a superior system. If the RSM were $1000 it be the perfect set up for the money, for $1600+ its a tuff sell.
Nice response, now can you spec out a system (~55gal) and where to get it.
I have a lenght restriction of 36" wide. I am looking for a reef capable but not over the top custom system that I will not have to upgrade after I figure all of this out. My budget without livestock is apprx $2000. This would include the tank, stand w/o canopy, lights (not suspended from the ceiling), filtration, power heads, live rock, live sand. Also need this to blend with with a teak decor.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by charlotte515 http:///forum/post/2961139
Nice response, now can you spec out a system (~55gal) and where to get it.
I have a lenght restriction of 36" wide. I am looking for a reef capable but not over the top custom system that I will not have to upgrade after I figure all of this out. My budget without livestock is apprx $2000. This would include the tank, stand w/o canopy, lights (not suspended from the ceiling), filtration, power heads, live rock, live sand. Also need this to blend with with a teak decor.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
with a length restriction and wanting to keep it simple I'd go with a 34g solana. being rimless its way trendier, its cheaper and because of the lighting more capable of supporting anything than all stock redsea max (3 different cabinet colors to match your decor). it runs $800 with the 150w HQI, that includes stand and everything (google it for features. built in auto top off ect). you'll need to upgrade flow but you'll have plenty of money left over for that (vortech MP20 $300 will take care of that and thats the most prestigious/$$ option). tunze 9002 skimmer ($150) to replace the stock skimmer is another common option (not sure how much better it works but its silent). with that alone you've spent much less than $2000 and can keep anything.
you can either run the stock 150w HQI pendant

or buy it without lighting, get the elso zero edge pole ($200 or better yet make/buy your own) and hang what ever light pendant you wish. with your budget that wont be a problem

if you want a 36" tank specifically the most common standard sizes are 30 gallon long, 40 gallon breeder or 65gallon. for the 30-40g, well this is what I did (and for the 65g not that many changes need to be made either other than sustituting the appropriate sizes for sump, powerheads, skimmer ect).

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/323840/30g-considered-nano-new-start-up
there really aint much to my equipment list:
AGA (Aqueon now) standard 30g long $60
AGA standard 30g stand $??
walmart 10g tank for sump $10
Hdepot plexi glass and silicon for sump$20
egay overflow box and drain hose $60
return flare and .75" return hose $13
ViaAqua 600gph return pump for sump $30
small octopus sump skimmer $150
sunpod 150w x2 MH fixture $450
maxijet 400 $15
sureflow maxijet upggrade $15
magnet holder for maxijet $20
minijet for sump circulation $15
coralife digital timer strip $25
heater $20
= $903 plus whatever the stand cost (under $100)

charlotte515

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking for the octopus skimmer. The smallest I have found is the DNW 110 @ $199 is that the correct size for a 65gal? Is this unit quite? The tank will be in our greatroom so noise is a concern.
Also have found a 65 gal AGA pre-drilled with AGA's MegaFlow overflow
36X18X24 for $150, any comments?
Thanks again for the time spent replying

premilove

idk if you live in jersey but i am selling my complete 65 gallon system..if you are interested email me at acuraka7@yahoo. com

charlotte515

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2962704
idk if you live in jersey but i am selling my complete 65 gallon system..if you are interested email me at acuraka7@yahoo. com

Little to far for me I'm in Charlotte, NC
I am looking at used as well as new...Thanks

stanlalee

Originally Posted by charlotte515
http:///forum/post/2962596
Thanks for the reply, I have been looking for the octopus skimmer. The smallest I have found is the DNW 110 @ $199 is that the correct size for a 65gal? Is this unit quite? The tank will be in our greatroom so noise is a concern.
Also have found a 65 gal AGA pre-drilled with AGA's MegaFlow overflow
36X18X24 for $150, any comments?
Thanks again for the time spent replying
the DNW-110 is too small. its a reciculating skimmer but the body (4") and pump (260gph) is just too small for a 65g (good size for a 30-40g, pushing it for a 55-65g). the NW-150 non reciculating skimmer is a better choice and a little cheaper. make sure you get the latest stock with pinwheel. the older stock has the needle wheel (pinwheel can be bought seperately for $40 but why pay for the upgrade when you dont have to). I have both impellers and the pinwheel is much better. these skimmers are quiet. thats a good deal on the tank if its in good condition.