redtail tamarin wrasse

kevin34

how would one of these do in a reef tank? are they known to eat flatworms like a few other wrasse? scientific name: Anampses chrysocephalus
anyone have one? whats their temperment like? I am trying to remove a bully sixline I have and am looking for a wrasse to replace him with. I want something very peaceful and this one caught my attention. it also looks like they get pretty large. they wont eat snails, crabs, or shrimp? also whats their care level like? I read it was moderate on one site and difficult on another. also one site said reef safe and the other said it wasnt. they arent difficult like the leopard wrasse are they?

aquaknight

They are more difficult then leopard wrasses. The main problem with these guys is shipping/transport. They bury in the sand, and will attempt to in shipping bag/holding tanks that don't have sand. They often time damage their mouth trying to dig. With is a guarantee death sentence for the fish, as their second main problem is their diet/metabolism. They'll starve in no time. Many times tanks that are enough for a mandarin or leopard wrasse, can't support a tamarin. They are reef safe.
All that said, I am always on the outlook for a healthy specimen, and definitely plan on one in my 125.

aquaknight

A decent sized fuge is only half the battle. It's commonly thought they suffer from "large body, small mouth" syndrome. They can only gobble up so many pods. They also need feed a couple times a day, like anthias.

kevin34

ill have to add this to the future list for my swimming pool size lagoon haha. someday...someday