Reducing my nitrates and nitrites?

teeithigh16

what is the best way to reduce my nitrates? i have heard that there a plants I can buy, or removing my crushed coral and replacing with sand. I mixed 20lbs live sand and 20lbs crushed coral when I started my setup a year ago. I have a sneaking suspision my LFS has not been forthright with me, and has sold me anything I have had an interest in... based on what I have read on here in the last two months. HELP!
I have 50lbs LR in a 40G tank.
1 green chromis 2"
1 bicolor blenny 2"
2 false percs 1.5"
1 blue hippo (3")
1 y tang (3.5")
1 purple pseudochromis (3")
1 urchin
2 condi anemones
20 snails
30 hermits
SG - 1.024
Ammonia -0
Alkalinity - normal 1.7-2.8
nitrates - 12.5
nitrites - .05
ph - 8.2
temp - 78F

freejury

how long have you had this tank setup? nitrites are a bit high, should be zero, but not surprising for the fish load in a 40G. Everything else is well within norms. You should probably not have the two tangs in a tank that small, but other than that I dont see a problem. Your nitrates are going to remain where they are or higher unless you reduce the fish load. A refugium with macro algae or adding macro algaes to your tank will reduce the nitrates some but IMO with limited results in the long term.

1journeyman

Your pet store did do a number on you...
First off, your substrate is a bad combination. CC requires vaccuuming, but you can't do that with sand. So you're sand/cc mix is creating a nitrate farm.
Your fish list is baaaad... get those Tangs out of there. Read up a bit on how big they get and how much room they need.
Did the store tell you about lighting? Your anemones need very strong lights.

teeithigh16

Originally Posted by freejury
how long have you had this tank setup? nitrites are a bit high, should be zero, but not surprising for the fish load in a 40G. Everything else is well within norms. You should probably not have the two tangs in a tank that small, but other than that I dont see a problem. Your nitrates are going to remain where they are or higher unless you reduce the fish load. A refugium with macro algae or adding macro algaes to your tank will reduce the nitrates some but IMO with limited results in the long term.
thanks for the feedback... I have had it set-up since last March.

teeithigh16

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Your pet store did do a number on you...
First off, your substrate is a bad combination. CC requires vaccuuming, but you can't do that with sand. So you're sand/cc mix is creating a nitrate farm.
Your fish list is baaaad... get those Tangs out of there. Read up a bit on how big they get and how much room they need.
Did the store tell you about lighting? Your anemones need very strong lights.
needless to say, I agree with you... they did a HUGE # on me. The more I have read the posts on here, the bigger the lump in my stomach has become.
I will read more on the tangs. I bought them quite small, and have done well thus far.
What can I do about the substrate to reduce the nitrates. Will reducing the fishload alone help enough?

1journeyman

No, probably not.
You're going to need to either vaccuum it like CC and lose the sand, or take it all out and just put sand.

teeithigh16

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
No, probably not.
You're going to need to either vaccuum it like CC and lose the sand, or take it all out and just put sand.
its a very fine crushed coral... almost as fine as sand. matter much?

1journeyman

Hmm... ok, ya got me on that one.
Reduce your bio load, make sure you are skimming the tank well and that you have a good, crisp current moving about the tank. Do water changes and watch nitrate. If it goes down you are ok.

teeithigh16

Originally Posted by FireRescue
do you have a skimmer? If not then you need to get one.
i do not have one... recommend a good brand for a 40G?

craig7220

What type of filtration are you using.. Canisters that haven't had the filters cleaned can raise your nitrates. Also wet/dry filters with bio balls that haven't been cleaned can be nitrate factorys. A good protein skimmer is an important piece of equipment.. It will remove the organics that build up. Once you figure out what is the reason for the higher nitrates, they are easier to control.... Water changes will help right away...

teeithigh16

Originally Posted by craig7220
What type of filtration are you using.. Canisters that haven't had the filters cleaned can raise your nitrates. Also wet/dry filters with bio balls that haven't been cleaned can be nitrate factorys. A good protein skimmer is an important piece of equipment.. It will remove the organics that build up. Once you figure out what is the reason for the higher nitrates, they are easier to control.... Water changes will help right away...
same filter i have used for years, and had no issues. Penguin 330. Old technology but always done the trick. I know there is newer and better... maybe now is the time to start looking. Never had this many fish in my 40G either... some have to go =(