reef additives

benson

I would like to know what chemicals,foods,minerals, etc. I should be using in my tank. I have invertebrates, live rock,and fish. If I add corals, what additional chems will I have to use? I would like to keep it simple.

dave

no such thing as simple! haha.... each needs their own supplements to thrive... ive been using 6 diff bottles for the well fair of my 'verts, corals, and anemone...if ya find an allaround supplement, let ME know! Good Luck-- saltwater is much more time consuming and rewarding that freshwater still!

msd2

Most of the additives can be replenished by water changes. As your reef grows you may need to dose kalk, buffer, and calcium. You will need to get test kits for everything you dose to make sure your not overdosing your tank.

spmnarciso

Really don't need any additives except a good water change weekly or at least monthly. I had my old LPS/softy tank running for 1 yr with nothing but water changes,a refugium, skimmer, and kalkreactor. I know own a 500g total volume reef tank, SPS dominated and other than a kalkreactor and calcium reactor, I do not add anything. Magnesium, and strontium from time to time, but only when I get bored and want to test something. Just maintain your parameters, ie. salinity, calcium, alk, nitrates, pH and temp and you should be fine. As for feeding, scraping the algae off the glass and normal feedings to fish will benefit the corals. If you have a good skimmer and established filtration system, you can make your own coral food. There are many recipes out there. Don't forget good lighting is also key to their survival.
Good luck