Reef Assistance

allrndgq

My thoughts of the day are this .. I need to add some things to my tank or finish setting it up really. My 72 gallon tank has been set up since March 2004. I have 2 clowns, 1 Blue Hippo, 1 Yellow tang, 1 scooter, and a handfull of blue-leg crabs. I definetly know I need a lot more crabs. But what else more is needed for a good clean up crew ?
I really want to add another fish .. I have not had any luck with Angel fishes over the last few months. I have tried the Bi-Color twice now and both times in a week it has moved on. Are Angel fish like this ? Tangs and clowns do really well in my tank ..
I also would like to get another coral or 2 .. any thoughts ? I have GSP and Xenia right now ..
I do have a hang on skimmer .. I was curious about this upgrade.. Would there be any benefit to this ? Picture is below .

My tank picture is below .. Thoughts of what I can do differently of things that you notice perhaps I have done incorrectly ? ..
http://www.geocities.com/allrndgq/Fish030.jpg

hogg14

Get sea cucumber to turn over yor substrate. A good rule is 5 inches of cucumber per 20 gallons. Also, lacerate the Xenia. Put some on the otherside of the tank. Xenia grows extremely fast and this will add some balance to your tank.

msd2

cant see the pics, post them here. You just too shrink them down to 500x500 or smaller.

allrndgq

Thanks for the responses .. The xenia I am trying to keep on one side so it doesn't overwhelm the tank. I tend to sell it to the local fish store..
Pictures to see ...

stuckinfla

What kind of lights & water flow do you have? Corals - I would say your lights may dictate your choices. I notice ALOT of alge, thats why I ask what type of flow.

shoreliner11

Do you know what the levels of your tank are at? I ask because like stuckinfla said, you seem to have a bit of excess of algae growth. The stuff on the sandbed could be mostly due to lack of flow over the sand or lack of cleanup crew members but I think I see a lot of bubble algae on the rocks? Am I right? If so you might have some pretty high nitrates or phosphates. Angel fish don't do very well in high nitrates waters so this might be part of your problem. The skimmer you were showing is not big enough for the size of your tank. If you're looking for a hang on the back skimmer I would go with a Aqua C Remora pro. Its a little spendy but it'll pay off in the long run. IMO if you really wanted to get a cucumber, only get one. Keep in mind, these things do grow. Good luck
Aaron

stuckinfla

Cyno is all over the sand, but click on the second link in the first post and enlarge the pic..check the rocks..not to clean.

msd2

Yep, when you enlarge the pic you can clearly see the algae bloomage. You need to increase your flow in your tank to start. That will go a long way to clear up some of the algae issue. You also need a clean up crew, snails crabs, etc. As far as turnover rate I like about 15-20x an hour. I personally use 24x an hour which is achieved from a closed loop scwd, two seio powerheads and the sumps return pump. And yes an effective skimmer will improve water conditions by removing organics.

allrndgq

I would imagine it is Cyno that I have a bloomage of .. There is no Bubble aglae .. I have 3 power heads currently .. If you are looking at the tank .. (1) is in the upper left corner angled upward.. (2) is in the center of the tank pointed in a left downward angle .. (3) is upper right corner point almost side ways.. I believe they are all atleast 550 - 650's .. The skimmer is in the right corner of the tank .. and a old whisper cabon filter is on the rightside of tank .. How should my flow be ? preference on Angles ?
Lighting is the 4 x 65 Moonlight (I thought it was the coralife one) I have my lighting on timers from the blue being 1 hour before.. say 8am .. then at 9am all of them .. to the whites turning off an hour before the blue does at 6pm..
Clean up crew I only have about 5 crabs and 2 snails and a scooter .. How many crabs or snails should I have ?
Not all of my rocks are "living yet" 3/4 of them were base rocks and 1/4 was "live rock" ordered from here ..
I have not tested my water in some time .. I have always had growth like this .. I will bet it is from how it is set up..
My skimmer is not fully opened up .. at times when I turn it up it will suck some water up too .. I have it about 1/2 to a bit less. I seem to get good foam and protein that way.. I dump it once a week ..
I appreciate all the help and am looking forward to more responses.. I hope my explinations are good enough for more assitance.. When I have time this weeked I will test my tank .. What tests would you like to know about?

ram6519

In my 55 Gal I have 5 Turbo snails and 18 Blue Legg Hermit crabs and they seem to do a pretty good job. My LFS tried to tell me that I need 1 Hermit crab per gallon but that seemed a bit excessive.

diddley

some snails will improve the looks of your rock. get astreas and maybe a turbo, some ceriths, and a fighting conch for your sand. start with about 15-20 each of the ceriths and astreas and just one conch. good luck.

stuckinfla

Your working with 4x65w PC's?? After its all cleaned up, you really need to test your water at least once a week. Then when all is good, try some softies - mushrooms, zoo's, leathers ect..

allrndgq

Yes ... Are my PC's bad do you mean ?
Also I was looking at Zoo's ? has anyone ordered them from here at all ?
Do oyu have any preference on fish at all to add ? It would probably not be in the best interest to add another Tang of a different style body .. ? would it ?

stuckinfla

Until you get rid of the Hippo (you are going to have to - will get WAY to big) I would not add any other fish at all, not just other tangs.
PC lights are good. I have not ordered Zoo's from here, but they are fairly easy to take care of.