Reef chromis

theappe3

I am considering getting a chromis for my 72g and I have a quick question about them. I was looking into just getting one. I read somewhere I believe that they are better kept in odd groups.

I've seen big, green ones by themselves at LFS before with tangs, angels, and other large fish. Now if your talking about the blue or purple, I don't think it would be a very good idea because I think those don't get as big as the green.

patandlace

I have a single blue green chromis in my tank without any others of his kind. He's been in there for over a year and a half and hasn't complained yet.

theappe3

Samurai Sushi...
If you are saying not to keep it singularly due to other aggresive fish, then I dont have to worry because all I have are peaceful community fish.
The kind that I'm talking about is a blue/green one.

dragonzim

I have 3 in my 75 and they are fine. I've read that they should be kept in odd numbers, so one by itself should be fine.

m0nk

The thing about chromis is they're in the damsel family and although they're peaceful towards other fish, they can definitely go after each other. Some accounts note that they can't be kept in a group less than 6 successfully, others say odd numbers. I tried doing 3 once and I'm down to one... the final one was the coldest cold-blooded killer in the group.

ncognito

Yes, damsels should be introduced in odd numbers of either 3, 5 , or 7. Generally they knock off the weak of the group as they settle their pecking order. As one poster mentioned, sometimes you will end up with just one out of the number you added.

teresaq

Are the blue reef chromis the same. I have one blue green, lone survivors of 3. I want to add 3 to 5 blue

vampofvegas

Because I know some people are going to be confused with the different chromis. I know my LFS told me they did have Blue Reef Chromis but I went there.. and they were the regular blue/green ones.
Blue Reef Chromis:

Blue/Green Chromis:

Still waiting for my LFStores to get the Blue Reef Chromis in.. but they are not on 'the list'.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist,I had 4 of these green chromis' ,and now I only have 2,one is even missing an eye . But they're doing great . They're 3" with streamers .

2cold2fish

I put in a 6pack of greens about 4 or 5 years ago and I am down to 4,The pack killed off the weakest one in about 3 months. and I lost one of them in a move (bag broke).