Reef cleaner packages...

spiderwoman

Which would you go for a new 150g reef that has now cycled (4 weeks) and is ready to go
Janitor Reef Package
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
55-100 Gallon Reef Package
In the Mix Reef Package
I did not list the 100+ Gallon Reef package because this is a new tank and there would not be enough for everybody to eat at this stage.
Why would you pick the package you did?
Also I have no experience with lettuce nudibrances, are you toxis when they die?

spiderwoman

In addition to any of those package, I plan on getting the larger Nassarius snails as well. I believe the ones in those packages are the small *Vibex* kind.

kurtymac

I trying to decide which one 2 get myself, except mine is only a 90gal. Its tuff cause the first one you mentioned is on sale, except the nudibranchs are very difficult care level, unless your an expert so i wouldnt get that myself. The secound one is good, def with the pepperment shrimp, however idk if they clean as much as the N/snails that they replace in the last package, however snails die quick alot of the time, so im not sure hahahah.

spiderwoman

Hehehe you are not making this easy for me at all. I have the same problem... I'm definitely not expert level so the nudibranches are out. I do want a ton of Nassarius snails (both small and large). I'd say away from Mexican and Zebra Turbo's, especially the Mexican's die easily if your tank runs warm.

kurtymac

haha sorry i couldnt be more help, im having the same problem. Yea well im glad you told me that, cause i did not buy my chiller yet and my water always gets warm. hah idk peperments are cool, but im not sure how well they do when it comes to cleaning, i know they eat aptaisa but besides thats im not 2 sure about the benifits of having them. But i do know when you have 5 that live in a tank like the 5 you get, they do have a good chance of breeding sooner or later.

kurtymac

well how much is the package that is on sale when its not on sale? i dont remember cause if its expensive that might be the best one.

I wouldn't put no crabs in a cuc period...They eat the snails...Then they fight one another...companys just add crabs to a cuc just to keep you coming back in a couple months...Snails, shrimp, and a blenny do a good job

mr_x

i have a 195 gallon tank and have about 6 nassarius snails, and i believe i have 5 too many. i think they are more trouble than they are worth if you keep, and occasionally feed LPS.
i also agree with a custom, slowly, add as needed, CUC. just grab 20 astrea snails and a couple cleaner shrimp and you'll be fine.

sepulatian

I would stay away from the crabs if you are going with said coral. They don't tend to get along too well, or so I have heard.
I agree on putting together your own package based on what works best for your tanks particular needs.

spiderwoman

I went ahead and ordered a sortiment of different hermits. I've not had problems with them in the 75 and they do eat all types of algae. This is what I ordered
20 Astrea Snails
10 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
20 Nassarius Snail - Large
10 Nassarius Snail - Small
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
10 Tricolor Hermit Crab
10 Trochus Snail - Small
10 Zebra Reef Hermit Crab
I'm going to put part of the hermits to the 75, same goes for a few of the large Nassarius snails.
Now talking about a tongue coral, what do you think would work with a completely new tank? Totally untouched at this time. Should I wait before adding a tongue coral?