Reef Compatibility

fishfanny

Just a quick question...
I was wondering if all shrimps/crabs/lobsters were ok to have together in a 90 gallon reef? :confused:
From what I read on this site, they all seem able to live together, some only 1 to a tank but that's ok. I'd like a purple lobster, a pistol shrimp, blue leg hermits, purple urchin etc etc.
So basically is there any of these guys that CANNOT live with other inverts? I have read they all like a lot of rock work...I currently have 140lbs of lr in the 90 gallon and will be adding more. (maybe)
THANKS FOLKS!

eskimo44

the purple urchin might get nasty with your corals if your just starting. Everymorning i had to re-position my corals when my tank was young. I took the Urchin to the LFS. Pepermint shrimp will eat each other when they run out of food until ther is 1 left. Also you hermits will eat/kill snails for their shells as they grow.

reefnutz

I am interesed to know if anyone has an opinion. The purple lobster offers alot of color. I have a sally light foot, bunch of hermits, cleaner shrimp and lots of differnet types of snails. Does anyone know how the lobster will effect my clean-up crew?

fishfanny

So I went to the LFS today and bought the biggest snail ever. It has a hard glossy shell that is pretty cute. It's called a cowrie or something? I bought some blue legs and some other little red crabs...stayed away from the shrimp tho because nobody really ever answered about the shrimps compatibility. I knew enough to stay away from their yellow mantis however! :) I got to watch them feed him, but he wasnt hungry so the brittle star took care of the goldfishy.
So which shrimps can I have with my peppermint? A cleaner or 2? Another peppermint? Fire shrimp are pretty much out of the question right? What about pistol shrimp? Those are pretty damn cool...

fishfanny

Yes, tiger cowie...HUGE snail. LOL He is pretty active at night...just sits around all day. I hope he cleans my glass. Do you know of anything that I can add that will hurt him? That way I know what to stay away from...

X

xnikki118x

Haha yeah definitely stay away from the mantis!
How big is the cowrie? What does it eat? How much did you pay?

fishfanny

I dont want a mantis, I want a pistol...the pistol wont break my glass will he? I paid 15$ for the snail and as of right now hes eating algae like it was his job. he was on the glass this morning, but all day yesterday he was concentrating on a piece of LR...

reefnutz

I bought one about 2 months ago from my lfs, I think I paid $8. Mine sounds like it is much smaller than yours... mine mostly sticks to LR, but every once in a while I see him on the glass. I only have 2 cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs and a sally light foot at the moment but I would be interested if anyone has input on critters that would harm him.