Reef Complete or Purple Up?

moorea2

I want to dose the tank with something to promote coraline algae. I have a bunch but more would be nicer. I am already planning on keeping a close eye on my calcium levels. I currently have no corals as my tank cycled in May and I wanted to finish stocking my fish (which I am doing very slowly) before I added the corals. I want to let the tank get well established before I add any corals.
I was told that reef complete will promote coraline algae and will not cloud the tank like purple up... is this true? If I watch my calcium levels carefully are there any other worries using either of these products?

lion_crazz

Marc Weiss' Coral Vital works very well. That is the product I would use if you want a little boost.

stuckinfla

"I wanted to finish stocking my fish (which I am doing very slowly) before I added the corals. I want to let the tank get well established before I add any corals."
Very smart....To help the color spread a little, use a toothbrush on the rock that already has some purple coraline on it. Just brush the purple patches (under water) it will release spores into the tank and throughout filtration, it will spread.

hot883

Originally Posted by stuckinfla
"I wanted to finish stocking my fish (which I am doing very slowly) before I added the corals. I want to let the tank get well established before I add any corals."
Very smart....To help the color spread a little, use a toothbrush on the rock that already has some purple coraline on it. Just brush the purple patches (under water) it will release spores into the tank and throughout filtration, it will spread.
Beat me to it. Thats the way I would do it. Although the above mentioned liquids work, I do not like to add anything like that.

alyssia

Originally Posted by shiby1510
Isn't the main key to just have a good CA level?

Yes, and some coralline to seed your tank. You can scrape some off of a rock.

120reefer

Originally Posted by shiby1510
Isn't the main key to just have a good CA level?
Yes, good water parameters play a huge role as well.... IMO, if you have good calc. levels and good parameters, you won't need any additives
However, if you still feel the need to use supplements... i've heard from numerous people that Weiss' Coral Vital works well...

alyssia

Originally Posted by 04mach
I HATE the stuff, PITA to scrape off the glass.

I am SO sick of scraping!!! I don't know why I ever TRIED to get coralline.

hardcrab67

When I bought some LS to seed my other sand, the 5lb container was covered in coralline, I just scrape the container clean. I read to cut your filteration and PH's off for a couple hrs and let it seed the tank. Must of worked, I've got coralline everywhere, naturally w/ no additives. I added Ca for a couple of months, but now for some reason it never gets below 400ppm. When I do a WC it goes up to 460ppm, weekly or bi-weekly doesn't matter. I use IO salt, no problems yet. Haven't had to add Ca for 6 months now.