Reef complete test supplements

kodiak

I have a 85 salt with about 130lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of ls. One serpent star, forface, and long nose hawk. Equip is 350 mag canister filter sea clone skimmer two pengiun power heads and jbj 50/50 watt lights 48 inch. so the question is I have been informed by my lfs that I should get a kit called Reef complete that supplements fro the calcium, stontium, magnesium. Also supplemnts the carbonate alkilinity, which on this element what am I testing for in my normal water testing ( nitrite, nitrates, amonia etc) where does the alikilinity come in at. THe Reef Complete also has a bottle for vitamins, amino acids and trace elements. So the question is is this a good supplement kit and how often shoul I use these supplents as it says on the bottle or other wise. Thanks for your time.

old hermit

i cant help you much but you should figure out what you want in your tank before you get the supplements or you may waste some money on some that you dont need.

kodiak

Well, I guess I thought the supplements were supposed to help with the live rock and sand.

broomer5

kodiak
Is this the small kit (3) small bottles by SeaChem ?
If so .. I've seen them in the stores but have not purhcased the kit.
I have and do use SeaChem Reef Calcium, and some of the powdered calcium and alk products by this company. Work pretty good if you test often, and dose accordingly.
I believe one bottle is calcium - REEF COMPLETE
Another bottle is alkalinity buffer ( carbonates and bicarbonates mostly ) - REEF CARBONATE
And the third bottle is vitamins, minerals and trace as you stated - REEF PLUS
If they are these little bottles I would not waste the money - I'd just get large bottles of calcium additive and large bottle of alkalinity buffer if you prefer using the liquids.
I'd suggest getting test kits for calcium and alkalinity, in addition to those tests you already mentioned.
Testing for vitamins, minerals and trace elements is not practical - except for say iodine, strontium, magnesium and couple few others.
I don't know that many people that test for these in reef tanks - although I'm sure some folks do.
Here's the link - read up if you're interested.
<a href="http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html" target="_blank">http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html</a>
and welcome to the board sheppard !