Reef Devil will not skim

wintrmte

All,
I have been having a problem with my reef devil skimmer ever since I got it (8 months ago). For whatever reason I cannot get it to foam consistently. Sometimes it will foam, but 90% of the time I just see the water moving within the cylinder. I have adjusted the water flow by using the red dial and just can't get it to foam.
I've also replaced the pump, lifted the skimmer up so the water level is roughly at the 6 inch. mark.
Can anyone suggest anything? I'm about ready to throw this thing out and go with something else.
Other skimmers I have seen require that there be an air stone or an air intake tube on the pump feeding the skimmer. The reef devil doesn't have this.
Anyway, I'm frustrated and am looking for help. :notsure:

lion_crazz

All of my ETSS skimmers have always worked wonderfully.
Have you tried cleaning out the venturi? I find that when mine stops foaming, all I need to do is take it apart, clean it, and it is right back to foaming.
I get a half of gallon's worth of muck out of my ETSS every 2-3 weeks.

wintrmte

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
All of my ETSS skimmers have always worked wonderfully.
Have you tried cleaning out the venturi? I find that when mine stops foaming, all I need to do is take it apart, clean it, and it is right back to foaming.
I get a half of gallon's worth of muck out of my ETSS every 2-3 weeks.
When you say clean, are you referring to unscrewing the L shaped fitting at the top and cleaning it out?
I usually do this once a week just to be sure it's not plugged up with salt, but it doesn't seem to help.
I have also taken the skimmer apart and cleaned it out fairly well, thinking there was a problem with it. :(

lion_crazz

Hm, that is very strange. What pump are you running on it now? Do you have it in your sump or is it plumbed to it? Are you running an internal or external pump?

wintrmte

Everything is internal. The pump is actually in the same compartment of the sump as the return from the tank, so it takes the water directly as it comes from the tank.
The water of course is really bubbly as it's full of air from the journey down from the tank.
I can't remember the brand, but I think it is a coral life pump? It's got an adjustable knob like thing on the front to adjust water flow from the pump (which I've also tinkered with).

lion_crazz

ETSS skimmers are much more efficient if they are run by an external pump.
Do you have the skimmer in the sump or plumbed externally?

wintrmte

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
ETSS skimmers are much more efficient if they are run by an external pump.
Do you have the skimmer in the sump or plumbed externally?
Everything is in the sump.
What you stated is also what I've been finding while searching the boards.. Externally they work great, internally, not so great.