reef dip

chadkubat

Has anyone ever used reef dip? I have flat worms and want to get rid of them. I bought reef dip and want to know how good it works. Also I want to make sure it will not hurt anything in my tank.

mkzimms

i haven't used reef dip, but the directions say it should only be used in a separate container not directly in the aquarium. if you are 100% confident they are only on a single coral or rock then you should be ok with just doing a dip, but my experience is if you have flatworms, they're not only on the coral you see, they're also other places in the tank... they like bright light and slow current. a good way to get them all in one place is to turn your pump and lights off and then shine a bright flashlight in one place on a rock for about an hour, they should all end up going to that one place and then start to siphon them.
you will probably like to treat the whole tank otherwise they will keep coming back. try flatworm Xit from sailfert. first you will have to siphon all the flatworms you can see out because when they die they release a toxic chemical. then after the treatment run carbon and do a water change. the sailfert flatworm Xit has very detailed instructions and i have used it successfully without any trouble.
the only thing flatworm Xit treats is the flatworms, although i have noticed my tiny brittle stars aren't to happy with it, but they did not die.

T

tizzo

I completely agree with mkzimm's first post. But I wouldn't recoment you get a nudi. They are correct in saying they eat flatworms, however putting ne in your tank is not as simple as...putting one in your tank. They "fly" and if you have an unprotected powerhead, an overflow bow, an overflow, or anything like that, there is a good chance he will find his way into it with in a day or two.
You would need to research and "nudi" proof your tank before adding one.
I wish somebody had told ME that way back when I tried one for flatworms.

But again, if done correctly, flatworm exit is safe and very effective, and in the future you can put a drop into every new coral purchase at the store so all the way home he will be dipping and you can be sure no more will enter your tank.