Reef Eel?

merredeth

Originally Posted by Space_Geek
...Also, be careful when taking it out of the bag, they tend to get pissed, and you dont wanna get bit. If u DO get bit, their teeth curve backwards and you have to cut their head off and pry its jaws open. Not trying to scare u or anything. When u getting it? TAKE PICS!

What???????????????
Are you talking about a Snowflake Eel?
Denise M.

aw2

I've been bitten by quite a few speices of Moray but have never had one latch on, not let go and me have to decapitate it, to make it let go.
Anyone that's really been bitten knows that they bite and immediately let go unless you force the struggle and continue to show aggression. For you guys, that have been bitten by a Snowflake (Echidna nebulosa)...it might have seemed like a long time, but it was probably only a second or two before the eel let go.
Also, the Gymnothorax species (Tesselata, Whitemouth, Green, etc) are primarily the ones with teeth that are curved towards the back of their mouth. This is to bite and hold on to prey, before they swallow it whole.
Snowflakes do not have curved teeth. They have small, pebble like teeth, that meant to crush inverts...not eat fish.

connor

no he is not snowflakes prey on shrimp and inverts therefore they have small rounded teeth to crush! i have been bitten to my snowflake and banded moray eel like 3 times each ( hand feeding litteraly lol) not once did they latch on, they strike quick and dart back into there cave/hole.

dennycrane

I had a snowflake that used to take a tail slappin from a damsel fish! That little blue guy would just swim down to the moray's face and slap him with his tail until the moray retreated. Seriously, he was a complete wus. I had some shrimp and crabs that did okay, but generally these animals aren't aggressive. As long as I kept him fed, he couldn't be bothered by anything else (except that miserable damsel :happyfish ).
PS - those eels are omni predators (opportunists) - they eat fish and inverts. And yes, they have a center row of curved sharp teeth, clearly visible, on their upper mandable.
Bottom line - risky but possible (but why risk it?).

mitzel

My SFE has been fine in my tank he has gone surfing twice now but thats another story thats been solved . Mine is as melow as can be he swims around and doesn't show any interest in anything other than his hideouts. I have pepermint shrimps and blue and scarlet hermits in my tank and he has not once been seen eating them . I also have a smal yeloow tailed blue damsel thats is seriously less then an inch long definatly small enough to be a snack . but he is still going strong.
As far as Space geeks incident goes he was ?9? I belive he said . At that age things are very scarry espescially being biten by an eel . Also take in to acount that a nine year olds skin is far more soft and thin than that of an adult male . Not trying to single you out SG just trying to dispell some rumors .I think this bitting thing is blown way out of wack . Much like PITBULLS these animals take much abuse from people that claim how mean and untrusting they can be .Everybody wants to own the biggest toughest fishes and will stretch the truth to make their animal seem tough. I'm sure Some where somebody can tell a story of an eel that gaurds drugs or that has killed a full grown human . But I will belive it when I see it .