Reef Fish with personality?

nm reef

Hmmmm...:thinking:
Lots of choices out there...for personality I really like my foxface rabbitfish. At times he is more responsive to my presence than our dogs! I've even managed to hand feed him on occassion.
I also like the calm antics of my pair of ORA raised perculas...and the laid back attitudes of my bi-color blenny & lawnmower blenny.
There are numerous "personality" choices...just depends on what suits you.

flatzboy

If your tank has a good pod population, lots of liverock, a refugium, and been setup for at least six months get a mandrin.

midasblenn

Manderins are cool but be careful because you cant really feed them. Your tank needs to have enough pods for them to eat.
I have a Midas Blenny that has tons of personality! And it eats prepared food and flakes.

bulzebe

Get a blenny. Just be sure to have enough algea and such, old/good/been in there a while live rock.. I prefer the Zebra Blenny, also known as the Hawaiian Algea Blenny. They are usually gray, but at night, and sometimes when together, they get they go through an amazing color change. They get off white stripes all over them. Sometimes they are covered in them, sometimes only a few of the stripes show up. They also become very friendly very fast. Today, I got my Zebra Blenny to suck on my finger six or seven times. He also comes right up to the glass when you come up to the tank. I would also recomend getting two or three of them, seeing as how you have the possibilty of getting a male and a female. Also, if their gills get white all of the sudden, don't worry, they're fine. They only seem to do this when around one of their species. I suspect that when they get their stripes, they're trying to attract the female. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

tahoe ocean

There are so many personalities to choose from!
I really do recommend tank bred clowns. They have a great long lifespan. My tomato clown is in not the typical tomato personality: She's mellow and friendly. I have no doubt that if she could get out and play with us, she would. Can you imagine: "Fetch, Scetti!" She'd get the tennis ball back faster than any of them!
My fire shrimp is bold and comes to my hand or arm the minute I have it in the tank. If there's no food, he wanders around my watch, or picks at my nails. He's always in the front of the tank when you walk by.
My personal belief is that you will find something you like and over time you'll grow to love it's personality.

clarkiiboi

Originally posted by Sultan
I was torn between getting a Blenny or a Royal Gamma. Any advise which would be better?

I have had both, IMO the blenny has a better personality. I had a lawnmower and I just loved its eyes (looked like a wise old man to me). I was amazed and amused by they way it could turn its head, as if it was watching you while perching on its rock. Cool critter. My gramma is a afraid of everything and darts into the rocks always. If I would look in, the gramma was gone, but the LMB would stay looking with curiousity. Which blenny you thinking about?

ratpack

i go with my heniochus butterflyfish. he rock the tank. he is always the firts one to eat. if he wants to go thru a cage and there is a fish already there, does he care?NO hahahh if i put something in the tank, my hand or anything he is always there tacking a close look:cheer:

dana&pj

Flame hawks are great. Good color. Always out front. easy to feed, and has been known to perch right on my hand and look at me like "when's lunch?"!
Great fish

otradnoje

-Any Blenny
-Any Tang
-Flame Hawk
-Bluejaw, Pinktail, Crosshatch, & Sargassum Triggers
-Flame Angel, Coral Beauty
-Green and Psychedelic Mandarins
-Jawfish
-Possum/Arrowhead Wrasse

robchuck

Yellow Clown Goby - Mine constantly is moving around the tank doing his business, and loves to interact with me when I get close to the tank.

spmnarciso

Originally posted by RobChuck
Yellow Clown Goby - Mine constantly is moving around the tank doing his business, and loves to interact with me when I get close to the tank.

Hey i mentioned a shrimp goby before and I was wondering if I could put a clown goby with it?

sultan

I was thinking about adding a bi-color blenny. Any advise how they measure up against a royal gamma?

nm reef

I've never kept(or been tempted to keep) a royal gamma...but I seriously like the antics of my bi-color blenny. Earlier today he had a minor confrontation with my equally kewl lawnmower blenny. Seems the lawnmower vetured too close to the bi-colors favorite cave and the bi-color took exception to the invasion. The bi-color is half the size of the lawnmower but he quickly managed to re-locate the larger lawnmower.
Both are always full of activity and personality.
So ... personally I'd go with a blenny if the choice was mine to make.:yes:

clarkiiboi

2 different personalities. IMO, blennies have tons. Always out somewhere. Even if you dont see it, it sees you. When you find it, it looks like it has been watching you all that time (and laughing at you). Grammas (at least mine) has very little. IMO, if you are looking for personality then a blenny. If for color, then the gramma, but there are other small fish with color that have a better personality and stay out in the open. I'm not knocking the gramma, but mine is just there cause there is no way I can catch it and its not harming anything.