Reef lighing from lowes home depot

S

summerdaze

Hi I am wondering if anyone has heard of making your own lighting systems that would work for corals? It seems like lowes and home depot sell amny types of bulbs. what is the important thing to look for when doing this? Or is it not possibe?thanks in advance

michaeltx

you just have to make sure the ballast that you get will run the lighting that you want. if you want MH they dont have those but at a few locations most sell HO ballasts that wont work for MH very well. just becareful of what you buy and make sure its what will run the bulbs that you want.
which ballasts run what I am not to sure of I am sure someone that sticks around the DIY area like above will be able to tell ya or do a search and see what comes up
Mike

dmjordan

you can buy the enclosure there but not the right bulbs or ballasts. your best bet would be just to go ahead and buy a retro kit online if you have a canopy. if you are not some what mechanically and electrically inclined you don't want to start buying things and trying to piece them together and wire them up to hope they will work and you did it correctly....

S

summerdaze

thank you so much! Someone said in the past that you can use a worklight that is 500 watts?...

michaeltx

yep and will cause a lot of algae blooms.
Now there is a ballast called a workhorse ballast that have a certain ballast that can run our lighting for the tanks just not sure which one.
Mike

grubsnaek

a good thing to look at is vho ballast at very low costs on ----. then just the vho bulbs are all that are needed. just a thought i purchased mine from ---- and they are bright as hell for only a buck and a half (150.00). very cheap. they came with very good caps to. thats important if you have a canopy top.