Reef Lighting

causeidm

I am currently upgrading my lighting, I was wondering how many watts of light I should put on a 68 gallon. Right now I am considering either 2 175 watt 12,000k MH with 2 standard flouresent bulbs or 2 250 watt 12,000k MH. I am considering other options as well. Currently the tank has 1 96 watt power compact. I'd like to be able to have some Acropora in my tank one day or something like that, so I just want be sure that I have plenty of light.

jonthefb

i would do two 250 w 12k mh's and then get 2 4ft 110w actinic bulbbs, and you should have a helluva light set up!
p.s.how deep is your tank?
good luck
jon

jonthefb

wow for 36 inches deep you might want to go with 400'watt mh's but in a 68 thats a lot of light. interesting. is the depth still 36 inches to the top of the sandbed?
p.s. is it a custom tank?
good luck
jon

causeidm

NO, it's about 36" from the top to the bottom, with sandbed it's more like 32"-31", I should say it's a 68 tall I guess. I chose it because I could make a nice mountain of rock in the middle and my fish all swim around it. Don't you think 400w is a little much for 68 gallons? I thought the rule was 3-5 watts per gallon. I thought that 2 250 watts would be plenty since that total at 500 watts, plus the 96 watts I allready have is almost 600 watts. You think I need 2 400 watts? that would be like 900 watts. Guess I wont need a heater this winter.

jonthefb

ok
1. watts per gallon is a good rule of thumb, but not entirely effective in reef tanks because it does not account for the light at the bottom of your tank. your light at the top of the water surface is going to be the most intense and while you will still have 4 wpg, you will not have intense light at the bottom of your tnak, where many reefer place clams and such.
2. 3-5 wpg is terribly low, and will not keep sps or clams alive. if you are going to go by th ewatts per gallon rule then try to shoot for anywhere between 6-10 watts per gallon if you want to keep sps and clams.
3. a 175 mh, will be very intense up to 18 inches deep , a 250 is good for 18-24 inches deep and a 400 is good 24 to 36 inches deep.
if you want intense light on your snadbed, and hope to keep clams there, i think you should be ok, with the 2 250 watt mh's, and change all of your existing 96w of pc to 10K bulbs, and then still add 2 110 vhos, or you could even drop down to two 4 ft Ho actinics at 40 watts a piece. i think that this would be ideal for you, but then again it is up to you. 3-5wpg is horrible, and i wouldnt even put shrooms in a tank that was lit like that, but at the same time to each his own. i agree that the 400w mh's would be in excess, but for the depth of your tnak , they would be perfect. i think that if you went with the 250's kept your current pc's and added two actinic ho's you would be settign pretty!
good luck
jon

causeidm

OK, well, I just ordered 2 1200K 250 w MH. I will add the VHO's probably next month. I am not plannin on putting any sps or clams for a long long time.