reef moving help

yaksplat

In 5 weeks I'm moving into a new house that's about twice the size of my current house, so I decided that I should upgrade the fish house as well. I can't be stingy. :) The old tank is a 55 and the new one is a 120. I don't have to be out of my current house immediately. So I might have a few weeks while I do own two houses. During that time I'll set up the new tank. I'm planning on using 50% new saltwater and 50% of the water from the 55 that i get from water changes. I have 140# of live rock and about 90# of sand to move.
Has anyone had experience doing this? Sould I move half of the rock when the new tank is about half full? should I begin removing sand from the old tank at the same time?
I'd prefer to have the new tank completely set up prior to moving the fish so they get the least amout of stress possible.
Thanks
Jim

tak1968

The way i moved a 75 gal, with rock is i put it all in zip-lock bags with water and the moved it to the new tank loc. I did this to have no die off on my lr. Be sure to put lr in zip-lock bag and then into a tub of salt water, bags will have holes in then. I put live
sand into
buckets with water from tank. Took some time but was well worth it. Hope this helps Tak.