reef octopus skimmer how to work

reefriyon

i got my reef octopus today but i dont know how to work it! first off i broke the airline where it hooks up to the coupling in the pump while tightening it....do i need that? and second my black tube....it doesnt slide to the top all the way like people say to the collection cup...it slides to the most i can get it and it gets water to the top but the water is splashing a lot in the sump all over....seconddd those 4 sponges do i put them on the overflow pipe to stop splash right? its not bubbling at all or anything pleaase helpppp

reefriyon

theres no bubbles in the whole chamber at all that must be not working right? theres more bubbles in the sump from the water splashing then that..whats going on????

joncat24

If you broke off the airline coupling, that would explain why you have no bubbles in it. You will need to fix that. Or, you can go ahead and do the venturi mod to it which will allow you to draw approx 3x the air into the skimmer than the stock venturi does.
All you need is a threaded to slip coupling with a reducer bushing down to the next size pipe, and then insert a 3/4" piece of that size pip into it. Then drill a 3/8 hole in the coupling and insert 3/8 airline instead of the 1/4 line that it comes with.

reefriyon

thank you finally works...i put the airline temp into the hole made it a lil bigger and hoooked it up and it works i will do that connector thing tomorrow or something thanks...is there anything i can do to mod this thing while im at it?