Reef Octopus XS-160

mikeny

Ok, I have a really really stupid question here so don't laugh at me!
I just got this thing today to replace a Coralife 65G in my 120G reef tank. Yea, I know, it was way underpowered before but it took a bit to get the cash to upgrade.
Anyway, I put the thing together, set it up in the tank and everything looks great. Later on I notice that the skimmer turns on and off. It runs for about 15 minutes and then shuts off for 10 and then goes back on again. This has been going on for a few hours now. There's no way it's supposed to be doing this right? Shouldn't it be on all the time?? Is it possible I set something up wrong? The documentation kind of sucked and didn't go over the operation of the thing.

snakeblitz33

Is your skimmer plugged into a timer?
Is it completely plugged into the socket?
Is your tank turning on and off?
Is it plugged into a GFCI or AFCI?
How old is the powerstrip?
It's not supposed to be doing that.... take the pump off and look inside of it - take it fully apart if you have to, inspect all of the parts and make sure there is nothing in the impeller or the drive well.

mikeny

I've tried multiple outlets in different rooms on different circuits. I have GFCI outlets on the system. Nothing else in the system is turning off. I don't hear any unusual sounds coming from the pump like it was straining or anything. I'm hoping I don't have to send the whole thing back. I'd rather just get the pump swapped out if possible. Already sent an email to BRS about it.
I didn't think to take apart the pump itself. I'm a little reluctant about doing that since it's new. I've heard these pumps have problems but this seems kind of strange. You'd think it would either work or not.

snakeblitz33

Pumps can be a little finicky.
It doesn't matter if you take it apart if you are going to send it back... so go ahead and take it apart and see if there is something stuck in the impeller.
A video might be in order?

mikeny

Ok, I took the pump apart. I never did this before but it seems like there aren't very many parts that you could remove. I pulled out the impeller wheel, checked inside and there were no obstructions. I did notice that the pump was VERY hot though.

mikeny

Update:
I called Coralvue and they shipped out a new pump replacement. By the time I received it though, the problem seemed to have resolved itself. I replaced the pump anyway and the skimmer is in the process of breaking in now. Overall, I'm really happy with the unit.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY http:///t/395702/reef-octopus-xs-160#post_3524713
Update:
I called Coralvue and they shipped out a new pump replacement. By the time I received it though, the problem seemed to have resolved itself. I replaced the pump anyway and the skimmer is in the process of breaking in now. Overall, I'm really happy with the unit.

Bummer about having to replace the pump. But I like that the manufacturer stood besides their product and replaced the pump that was not working well.
It's a very nice skimmer, once it is broken in you should see some crazy skimmate production.