Reef Parameters?

<3scopas55

Alright guys, I think I am finally on the right track with my 55 reef.
As of today my readings are...
(Instant Ocean ReefMaster Test Kit + Aquarium Pharmecuticals Saltwater Kit)
pH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10 (They were 40 this morning but after a 10% wc I think I have them undercontrol)
Calcium- 345 (still dosing Purple Up daily to raise)
Phosphate- .10
Alk- 3 meq/L
Does this look right? The tank has about 10lbs of mature liverock and 3 cups of sand from my other tank. That makes about 55+ lbs rock total and 40 lbs sand. It has like 26x + turnover, skimmer, and canister filter.
When do you guys think I could transfer my two clowns from my old tank?

120reefer

Parameters are O.K. for fish but I would get your calcium and PH/Alk under control before you start adding corals/inverts. Your PH at 8.0 and your Alk. at 3.0 is on the low side, and dosing that purple-up to raise your calcium will drop those 2 as calc. has an adverse effect on PH/alk. Really before you put any kind of livestock in the new tank, I would solve that problem first. What kind of saltmix are you using? Also, I would wait 18-24 hours before testing any parameters for an accurate reading..
SG being my only acception

<3scopas55

I am not quite sure what the saltmix is, I buy it from the my LFS. I have an RO system but I only use it for topping the tank off because its so much more convienent. I do all my water changes with the LFS water.
How would I got about raising my pH/Alk?

120reefer

A saltmix is the salt that you mix with the water to do a water change. Although it is much easier to just get the water from your LFS, I can assure you it will be much easier on your wallet in the long run if you mix it yourself..
With a good saltmix I've never had to use purple-up or any PH/alk buffers, IMO its much more safe to just buy a good saltmix than putting all those additives into your tank! Get yourself a rubbermaid bin and a small powerhead (unless you mix by hand) put in RO or RO/DI water and mix the salt in, test SG and dump in the tank.... its that easy. Im sure over time it will pay for itself!

<3scopas55

Alright sounds good. What brand do you reccomend? And will it harm anything in the tank if I were to switch brands?

120reefer

I've been using SeaChem Reef Crystals for as long as I can remember with amazing results. Tropic Marine ProReef is a great saltmix as well, but i've heard that Instant Ocean makes a decent mix but usually lacks a bit in the calcium dept... Hope that helps, and remember to give your DT 18-24 hours before testing your parameters, otherwise you stand a good chance of getting a false reading
Just make sure and check the SG before you go ahead and dump the mixed water into your display. Good Luck!