reef plants

keitho

does anyone have any plants in their reef aquarium? if so, are they hard to take care of? are there any fish that would pose threats to plants? i was thinking of adding some shaving brushes or something like that, but i don't know a whole lot about keeping plants and there is very little information about keeping them. any help would be greatly appreciated...

dmh

Okay, now let me stress that I have no experience in keeping plants in a reef tank, but I have read some on it. Since you got no replies, I'll try.
Yes, fish will eat plants, and that is why most people don't keep them. There are some very coarse, tough plants I have seen on certain dealer's sites that fish will generally leave alone. I think the best bet would be to tell the dealer what type of fish you have and hopefully he will be honest with you. THey are generally pretty cheap so I guess you could just try one and see what happens. At worst, it's expensive fish food.

blueberryboomer

We just added some shaving brush to our reef tank, We really like the looks of it. The only fish we have in there is two clarkie clowns and our snowflake eel. Plus some shrimp, crabs, hermits, brittle stars, and a cucumber. Nobody seems the least interested in them. I bought them off this site. 5 plants for $19.99. Hope this helps some...Later Lisa