reef ready freshwater tank?

cj7eagle

I am considering switching my 72 gallon bowfront with 40 gallon sump into a freshwater piranha tank. Has anyone ever done something like this?
What are the major differences between the care of salt and fresh tanks?

digitydash

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
I am considering switching my 72 gallon bowfront with 40 gallon sump into a freshwater piranha tank. Has anyone ever done something like this?
What are the major differences between the care of salt and fresh tanks?
Their not much difference.PH is different,and you might have a problem geting all the salt out of you used equipment.Piranha are ugly fish why would you want some any way.GL cleaning the glass

mie

Ugly and very messy. Go with chiclids, or australian rainbows, discus are very cool.

ophiura

There is no issue with using the tank - unless you keep very small fish (eg tetras) that can be sucked in there.
I personally don't recommend piranha which, BTW, get real boring real fast, from personal experience.

1journeyman

Benefit of keeping piranhas:
You can impress your goofy friends and scare school kids by telling them you have piranhas.
Cons:
You have a few (can't keep "tank full" they get big) ugly, messy, lazy fish....
And of course if you ever decide to get rid of the tank chances are you'll have to kill your fish as finding another home for them will be difficult.

zeke92

if you do get some don't feed it feeder fish, there diseased and not healthy. i would either buy nice fish and breed nice goldfish or guppies or use alternatives and not feed it live fish at all. oit's risky and sorta cruel to the food.