Reef safe angelfish

rot_stupid

Does anyone know if there is a such thing as a reef safe angelfish? More specificly a large angel as opposed to a dwarf angel. Thanks.

redman1221

Originally Posted by rot_stupid
http:///forum/post/2620806
Does anyone know if there is a such thing as a reef safe angelfish? More specificly a large angel as opposed to a dwarf angel. Thanks.
I would have to say no there are no reef safe angels, all angels can nip at corals but that the chance you have to take I did.

candycane

No, not that I don't know - just no. Most likely the only ones that you may find MIGHT be able to have their appetite supplemented. But they require larger portions of food for the most part. It only takes 1-3 days to forget feeding the thing, before it eats all of your corals, LOL. And supplemental feeding doesn't always work all the time.
The two best ones that seem to work are Flame and Potter's Angel (there are occasional Rustys', Coral Beautys and Bi-Colors), but that is most of the time when they are juvenilles. Then there is still no guarantee that the thing won't eat an entire SPS coral within 2 minutes.

groupergenius

I can't speak for every situation and I don't want to hurt feelings, but.......YES THERE ARE reef safe Angels.
Some maybe not the big, beautiful angels but pretty much all of the Genicanthus are reef safe. I know.. I have them in my reefs.
Also, my Regal Angel has been really good in my SPS reef. The only thing he has messed with is an Aust. Duncan colony. So I moved the coral.
I was just at a fellow reefer's the other day and he has a Majestic that has not touched any corals.
So..are there success stories? Yes. But there are plenty of non-successful ones also. Just have to decide on what's more important in your reef before you take a chance.

candycane

I would say that if someone is DETERMINED to keep one, that the above mentioned ones are going to be near closest to the safest.
However the only reason that I say no, and just no all the time to any angelfish is because I even had an issue with a Lamarcks' (which is still EXTREMELY odd), but it can happen.

rot_stupid

Yeah, kinda what I figured. Most books say they are not recommended for reefs, but I've talked to some people who say they have both and it works. I was really hoping for a Koran Angel, but I might just have to scratch him for something else.

peterpaul

I have a coral beauty in my reef tank. However do note there are corals which she has nipped (xienia and kenya trees I had to move my xienia to another tank but my Kenya tree seems to do fine). My other corals seem to be fine.

keri

watanabe's and lamarck's are two reef-safe Genicanthus species that although don't have the typical angel "wow" factor are still pretty in their own right and available to buy.
My LFS has a very striking Lamarck's in it's DT FULL of corals.

wangotango

+2 on anything in the Genicanthus family. If you had one of them that picked at your coral I'd be surprised.
-Justin

groupergenius

Originally Posted by peterpaul
http:///forum/post/2621337
I have a coral beauty in my reef tank. However do note there are corals which she has nipped (xienia and kenya trees I had to move my xienia to another tank but my Kenya tree seems to do fine). My other corals seem to be fine.
Something that eats Kenya trees and xenia.....that's called a Godsend.

rot_stupid

Well here's my plan. Right now I only have a yellowtail damsel (cuz he's appearantly smarter then me and I couldn't catch him) and Nemo (our clown actually has a gimpie fin). I want to add 3 yellow tangs and would love to have either an Emperor or Koran Angel, but if the angel won't work, I'll try a Naso Tang.
Any thoughts about that lineup?

clown4life

HOW BIG is your tank? I don't think tangs get along very well with the same kind but if you have a big tank I don't see any problem

kirkland

Originally Posted by Clown4Life
http:///forum/post/2622371
me personaly I like the flame angel and coral bueaty, also the pygme. I like the dwarf angels
i agree! i wish angels would get along - would love to have the 2 you metioned, plus a keyhole to go along with our rusty.

Have to agree with the Genicanthus angels, they are plankton eaters and generally dont eat corals.
They also are a deep water fish and you should be careful when choosing them, they are prone to bladder problems if not decompressed when they are caught. If you are going to purchase make sure it swims normally (upright) without any stability issues.
They usually swim in harems with one male and a couple females. they are also diamorphic, if you get 2 females one will more than likely change to a male..
Very cool fish...check out the Bellus and Japaneese swallowtails. a little on the pricy side...and not always avail. but an awsome species!

clown4life

I think they should get along but I am not the Tang Police lol so I don't know. Sounds like a project you should post some pics when possible

ci11337

Just thought i'd let you know that there are NO 100% reef safe angels. I know several people who have had Genicanthus angels pick at corals after being reef safe for a long time. one of them also had a blue ring angel that never touched a thing. It's always a risk. Genicanthus family is probably your best bet though.