reef safe angels?

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by BSchaible
what are some good reef safe angels??
Truly reef safe?
Watanabe, Lamarck, swallowtail, and zebra. Everything else is a bit of a gamble.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by BSchaible
all the dwarf angels need a min of 20 gals...just wondering if any are reef safe
No, that is the size for a juvenile (most sites state specs for the size that they sell) Adult dwarf angels need anywhere from 30-75 gallons depending on the species. Some are more territorial than others. All angels are nippers IMO and are not considered reef safe. Angel and butterfly species are to be avoided by reefers.

viper_930

IMO all angels are not 100% surefire reef safe. However, I have had a couple watanabes, a lamarck, and a swallowtail as Lion Crazz mentioned and they did fine in a mixed reef. I currently have a potters angel in a reef, but I would not recommend a potters as they aren't easy to keep in captivity. It nips at a few corals once in a blue moon but no biggie really.

travis89

The dwarfs are a 50/50 chance, a lot of people have flames and coral beauties in reefs with no problem, I'm one, but as said above none of these are surefire reef safe.

seattle

Not all Butterflies aren't reef safe :mad: Copperbands are reef safe,usually
And it is a min of 30 gallons for most dwarfs not 75! Jeez Sharkboy the rules isn't put a fish in a 40+gallons from the orginial tank size

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Seattle
Not all Butterflies aren't reef safe :mad: Copperbands are reef safe,usually
And it is a min of 30 gallons for most dwarfs not 75! Jeez Sharkboy the rules isn't put a fish in a 40+gallons from the orginial tank size

well its agreed butterflies rnt generally reef safe, occasionally ull get a good one here and there but usually theyll pick corals. plus a 30 will only be good for a short period of time (2-3mos) then itll need a 55, but to be really happy itll need a 70+

kmc

For what it's worth we are on our second ( first one was killed by a six line psycho wrasse ) cherub angel in our 29 gal biocube. i haven't noticed them ever doing any damage to the corals we have. They like to swim around and pick at the rocks constantly so I can see where if they develop a taste for corals you could be in trouble