Reef safe Angels?

b-diddles

Does anyone know of a web-site where I can read about angels that might be "reef safe?" I am realy wanting a flame angel, but I hear that they are iffy. I would like something pretty certain that has color. Thank-you for your help.

pleasants9

I've seen that coral beauty's are pretty safe, I love the flame angels, but most places say they're iffy and aggressive. You rbest bet is to just search online fish stores and read about the angels your interested in, that's what i do. But I'm fairly new at the aquarium hobby.

jerryatrick

Nothing is 100% when it comes to finding an angel that is reef safe. It is like finding a good looking woman who cooks and cleans. Kidding ladies.
Trial and error my friend. I had two cherub angels that never bothered anything in the reef.

aquaguy24

yeah u can do as much research as u want..ur gonna get the same answer..might mess with corals might not...i have bicolor angel and never touched any corals..although my peppermint shrimp went missing..

nycbob

50/50 when it comes dwarf angelfish. its just some angels r know to be less likely to bother corals or inverts. flame and cb r not reef safe imo. my cb ate all of my xenia in my fowlr in days. they r also not safe if u hv clams. for me, clams r just too pricey and nice of an inverts to take a chance on an angel in my 72 gallon reef.

greenreefer

I had a coral beuty for about 6 months with zoas, rics, lps, and sps and never touched a thing. One day I added a paly colony that it decided it wanted to eat, so I removed it and from then on he nibbled at everything. There are plenty of other colorful fish, so if you really want a reef, stay away from angles.

b-diddles

I realy like the flame dwarf. To me, it is one of the prettiest fish in the ocean that I have seen thus far. I only have two very small pieces of coral now. I am setting it the way I like it before I invest in the main part.

im thinking of putting a dwarf angel in a 30g and im not sure which is the better candidate i had 3 types of dwarf angels in a 175g and it took forever to get the coral eater out

first---flame angel--- didnt touch anything
second---- coral beauty angel--- didnt touch anything as well
third

[hr]
bicolor angel--- ate about 5 corals i had dont remember wat types
with that said i know there is no gaurantee

just when i feel comfortable with a decision either the flame or the coral beauty i flip back over to the other with that said who is the smaller one some say 4" for both some say 5" and other even say 6"
all i hope is that the angelfish that i pick is nice to my corals

racin24fan

Originally Posted by FaLLenSyNNer
http:///forum/post/2801127
im thinking of putting a dwarf angel in a 30g and im not sure which is the better candidate i had 3 types of dwarf angels in a 175g and it took forever to get the coral eater out

first---flame angel--- didnt touch anything
second---- coral beauty angel--- didnt touch anything as well
third

[hr]
bicolor angel--- ate about 5 corals i had dont remember wat types
with that said i know there is no gaurantee

just when i feel comfortable with a decision either the flame or the coral beauty i flip back over to the other with that said who is the smaller one some say 4" for both some say 5" and other even say 6"
all i hope is that the angelfish that i pick is nice to my corals

I didnt think you could put more than one angel in a tank? I would love to have a flame and coral beauty.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by B-DIDDLES
http:///forum/post/2759971
Does anyone know of a web-site where I can read about angels that might be "reef safe?" I am realy wanting a flame angel, but I hear that they are iffy. I would like something pretty certain that has color. Thank-you for your help.
Angels of the Genicanthus family.....all 100% reef safe.
My personal experience with others.
Cherub-safe
Rock beauty-SPS nibbler
Regal-OK with SPS, zoa muncher

spiderwoman

Google *reef safe angels* that should give you a good starting point.
My experience so far:
- Flame Angel safe (no SPS in that tank)
- Bellus Angel safe (hasn't touched anything and I've got all types of corals, inverts and clams in the 150)

calaxa

Originally Posted by Racin24fan
http:///forum/post/2801624
I didnt think you could put more than one angel in a tank? I would love to have a flame and coral beauty.
You take a chance adding any angel in a tank, even CBs. I just added one and he's starting to venture out. No more aggression from the yellow tang. The Tang still follows him but no longer gives chase. The CB still won't participate in the feeding frenzy but I see he has taken an interest to frozen brine and does nibble on the live rock. I'm suspecting he is interested in some of my feather dusters but alas, I knew this going in. He has been lurking near the candycanes a bit and I can't see what he is doing yet. I also want to add a flame and know I would need to do this soon before my CB gets established. Not sure it's possible as my tank is only a 90 and though I have lots of LR (150-200 lbs), everyone seems to favor one side of the tank.