reef safe crab?

houseplant

I just bought 3 bright red crabs from *****, they informed me they were reef safe, but I'm not sure he really knew what a reef tank was, so I thought I'd double check prior to releasing them and causing disaster. They are all pretty small (now)-red in color but have a dark under side, almost black- and their eyes stick up above their heads. Looked all over the internet to try and identify but no luck! Any help?? I already have emrald crabs, and blue leg crabs in my reef tank but I also have just a small 18g non-reef salt tank they can go in if they can't get along with others!

T

tizzo

Did you look under the inverts part of this web sight?? Scarlet hermit, sounds like what your describing like RussianSpy suggests. Let us know if that's not it.

houseplant

I have a scarlet hermit crab but these guys don't live in a shell, otherwise, they do kinda resemble them. Is there another type of scarlet that they could be? Their front claws are very tiny, even smaller than those of the emerald crabs but that could just make it easier for them to get in my snails shells and eat em.

houseplant

thanks for your help. unfortunately, no crabs match the ones I bought. mystery crabs I guess. I'm attempting to take a picture so I can post it and maybe get luck that way. All ***** can tell me is that it's a red crab. well no kidding! Next time I'll do research first! thanx again.