Reef Safe Dwarf Angelfish???

carlos413

Is there such a thing as a reef safe dwarf angelfish? I like to get one but if I have to choose between angel and corals I rather the corals. Any suggestions. I like the flame, coral beauty and bi-color.

spanko

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Some people have no problems while others curse themselves for getting one in the first place.
I think I read of more problems than successes though. That is not a scientific statement as I have not been keeping track but I don't read many posts that say they have not had a problem. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is NYCBOB. He has a flame in his beautiful reef tank.

gio28

i asked a similar question multiple times on this forum and some have said that pygmy angels (cherub, flameback) are most likely not to nip. idk if thats 100% true or not though.

fau8

Your best bet would be the bicolored angel or coral beauty. I have had success with flames in 2 different tanks, but other posts on the board have had issues with flame angels.

N

nihoa

whatever you do steer clear of lemonpeels. their pretty blue eyes suggest innocence but they are a holy terror in a reef.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3105198
i asked a similar question multiple times on this forum and some have said that pygmy angels (cherub, flameback) are most likely not to nip. idk if thats 100% true or not though.
Pygmy angle! As everyone has heard many times I always suggest this fish.

nycbob

hard to make guarantee in this hobby. the best chance r the cherub, flame and cb. the bi-color, i dont hv experience with it. it also depends on the corals u hv. most of these angels listed above, even if not reef-safe, eat only sps or brain corals. if u r willing to sacrifice a few corals, then its fine to add one. get a real small one to begin with, sicne it hasnt acquired any bad habits yet.

nicetry

A bicolor is a bad choice. Members of the argi complex are the best bet; Cherub, flameback, etc..
Coral beauties and flames are a crap shoot.

mgatdog

I have a cherub angel in my 55 reef . The key is to have lots of LR for him.It keeps him from getting into trouble with my coral.

tank a holic

I'm with spanko on this one, you get 100 angels, 50 are bad 50 are good
I have heard alot that younger (smaller) will better your chances but I dont buy it, they will or they won't IMO
personally I'd take the chance, ask the LFS in advance if you can bring it back if it doesn't work out

nycbob

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3106981
I'm with spanko on this one, you get 100 angels, 50 are bad 50 are good
I have heard alot that younger (smaller) will better your chances but I dont buy it, they will or they won't IMO
personally I'd take the chance, ask the LFS in advance if you can bring it back if it doesn't work out
hv u ever tried to catch a small fish without breaking down ur tank?

montecarloz38

Tried catching a Picasso Trigger in a 65g, the fish was only 3 inches. Took me 45 minutes and 75% of my rock was dissembled.

tank a holic

there's deffinately an are to catching the little guys lol
I had a purple psuedo and MAN he was hard to catch
I just left the net in the tank for 3 days till he got used to it, then built a trap and cought him
took a while cause he fit in the rocks so good. I'd still take the chance on the angel though JMO

Angels are never really reef safe, however some are better than others. I personally have a Potters and a Flame angel and have no issues.