Reef Safe Pod eating fish

rabid frog

the title says it all. I need a reef safe pod eating fish, other than a mandarin. I already have one but he cannot eat some of the larger pods in the tank. The 75 is a old well established system. I am not worried about the other fish out competing the Mandarin.
the reason I need one is because the large pods in my tank are starting to eat some of my more expensive Palys/Zoas. This has to stop. I think I am the only person in the world at this point that does not wants Pods. The Mandarin is the only fish in there.
The tanks itself is a 75 gal. and has been set up and running 1.5 years. 100#'s or so of lr. I have a 30 gallon refuge. I think the Pods I am having trouble with are tiger pods. they are big. It would be like the Mandarin trying to eat a cantalope whole.

rabid frog

Im thinking somthing along the lines of a twin spot wrasse. I think these pods would choke a shark they are sooo big..

wangotango

Originally Posted by b0bby1
some smaller wrasses such as a fourline or sixline should work.
yeah. i have a sixline in my 55. very beautiful fish.
-Justin

rabid frog

I went and got a large 8 line wrasse today. I think he will do the trick.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Joey

kpk

You mentioned you didn't want a jumper? The wrasse is just as likely or even more likely to jump than a goby. Just thought you may want to secure the top or something, you seemed concerned about the goby...

rabid frog

Ya I did not want a jumper, but it looked no matter which route I took I was going to run into one. I just put egg crate across the backing. i hope this will be secure enough for him.
On a diff note. The 8 line has taken care of all visiable bristle worms. Usually when I feed the tank the worms are every where. Today no sign of them and I had a fat wrasse. He looked like a pot belly pig. So far so good.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by rabid frog
Ya I did not want a jumper, but it looked no matter which route I took I was going to run into one. I just put egg crate across the backing. i hope this will be secure enough for him.
On a diff note. The 8 line has taken care of all visiable bristle worms. Usually when I feed the tank the worms are every where. Today no sign of them and I had a fat wrasse. He looked like a pot belly pig. So far so good.
Word of caution: Keep an eye on your crab/shrimp population...some wrasse believe that ANY crustacean is there for snacking purposes only. I learned the hard way that a fish that will (can) eat a bristle worm is truly one tough fish. Not aggressive, neccessarily, but talk about opportunistic!