Reef-Safe Puffer?

emperor11

I have recently become quite interested in the Hawaiian Blue Spot Puffer, and have heard they are reef-safe, as long as you don't have shrimp. How true is this? I think its Promise, who has one on here, but I can't really remember. Feel free to comment! :happyfish

fedukeford

everything ive read has said its pretty much reef safe, except for shimp and other inverts i think, next closest thing to a reef safe puffer is the valentini

emperor11

Originally Posted by fedukeford
everything ive read has said its pretty much reef safe, except for shimp and other inverts i think, next closest thing to a reef safe puffer is the valentini
Thanks for the input!

hot883

Adam, I would be interested to know as well. Did you see my new thread? "Monday 4 pack"?

emperor11

Originally Posted by hot883
Adam, I would be interested to know as well. Did you see my new thread? "Monday 4 pack"?
No, I didn't see your new thread..I'll have to check that out. Just so you know, my email isn't working AGAIN, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm still saving up so I can get you your balance.

deeze

You could always get a T. fluviatilis (Green Puffer). I have one in my reef tank along with a Coral Banded Shrimp, two Harlequin Shrimp and the normal cleanup critters. He's very calm and swims all around my tank... very goofy bugger. I've been dying to keep starfish but I guess that won't be happening despite buying 2 or 3 a month... ha!

stingrayjs

Let me just say that they are NOT reef safe. I have had one for a long time and when I decided to go to a reef tank about a year ago. I had him in my tank. He was ok for a little while (Maybe a day), but all of a sudden he relized he could eat things like my zoos, mushrooms, and anything else he wanted. He was fead on a regular basis, so I know he wasn't overlly hungry. Just letting you know I loved him to death but he had to goto a new home when it was taking chunks out of my corals.

jay&beck

My Hawaiian blue dot puffer has not bothered any of my corals. I have some mushrooms, different colored zoos, pulsing xenia and a colt coral. He usually stays away and i feed him krill once a day.

deeze

Well I can't argue with that Stingrayj. So far mine hasn't touched any of my corals but I'll definitely keep an eye on him as I do ever day now for about a year. My lfs gave him to me for free because he was extremely under nourished and about to die. I babied him back to life so maybe he's thanking me for that. He still has a crook in his tail to the right from being so close to death (all shriveled).

stingrayjs

I have heard and know a few people that have them with out any issues. But myabe I was just one of the unlucky ones. Its a shame I liked him alot, but not sure if I want to take a chance again and come home one day and find a few things have been eaten.