Reef Safe Shrimp

jobob

cleaner, harlquin eat only star fish. peppermint. coral banded, but they can eat hermits.

crazyzeus1

DON'T BUT A CAMEL BACK shrimp.....they are NOT reef safe...hubby put THREE of these buggers in our 100 gal, & they have eaten all our xenias, most of our button polyps, have picked at our mushrooms, & are in the progress of eating our Spaghetti Leather. Been setting traps for 3 weeks now & can't catch them...just hoping they die real soon....

scotts

You know I would be careful with peppermint shrimp. I used to recommend them to get rid of apstasia, but then I found one day that my ricordia mushroom was basically dead and saw a shrimp eating another mushroom. Fortunatley I was able to trap one of them, which I think was the worst of the two in my tank and my mushrooms are making a slow recovery. So just beware with peppermint shrimps, or at least what are sold as peppermints.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by crazyzeus1
DON'T BUT A CAMEL BACK shrimp.....they are NOT reef safe...hubby put THREE of these buggers in our 100 gal, & they have eaten all our xenias, most of our button polyps, have picked at our mushrooms, & are in the progress of eating our Spaghetti Leather. Been setting traps for 3 weeks now & can't catch them...just hoping they die real soon....
i do have a camelback that i originally bought but was sold to me as a peppermint and i didnt know the difference then. Hes been eating my polyps i been tryin to catch him also but with no luck. Thats y i was looking for reef safe shrimp. I like them an would like to have some in my reef.

scotts

Maybe I just had the worlds dumbest shrimp. I made a trap out of a clear soda bottle, the first day it almost went in, but not quite. The second day right before feeding time I put some brine shrimp in the trap and was trying to position the trap and the shrimp swam into the mouth of the trap while I was still holding it. I just had to wave him into the trap and got it.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Scotts
Maybe I just had the worlds dumbest shrimp. I made a trap out of a clear soda bottle, the first day it almost went in, but not quite. The second day right before feeding time I put some brine shrimp in the trap and was trying to position the trap and the shrimp swam into the mouth of the trap while I was still holding it. I just had to wave him into the trap and got it.
you got lucky. i have the same thing a cut soda bottle i put some brine shrimp in there but since i put the trap in he has been on the other side of the tank. I think he knows im tryin to catch him

S

scriggle

i watched my peppermint shrimp chow on my frogspawn today! he is now face up in the grave...

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Scriggle
i watched my peppermint shrimp chow on my frogspawn today! he is now face up in the grave...
it is the worst feeling ever to see a nice beautifule coral get eaten by a dollar shrimp.

jdboy

I've got 3 peppermint shrimp and have had good luck with them till this weekend. I was looking at the tank and I seen one of the shrimp come up and start taking big chunks out of my BTA. I almost hit the roof! While I was there it done it again. I quickly got out the tongs and knocked it off the BTA, it came back. I remember reading a post the other day on how to catch strimp and it was a life saver. I dropped a few shrimp pellets into my net and set the net into the water. Sure enough, within a few seconds all three were all over the net. I had to keep a eye on the one that was picking on the BTA and when it got inside I snatched it up and put it in the sump. I had thought that my BTA had been doing great because it had recently split but now I'm thinking that the shrimp had been doing this all along and that it had stressed the anemone into splitting. Who knows but the other 2 haven't even gave them a second glance. Wish me luck!

alyssia

Originally Posted by autojunkie
what about fire shrimp? the bright red and white ones?
My fire shrimp never bother any of my corals.

joyze1

Originally Posted by autojunkie
what about fire shrimp? the bright red and white ones?
I currently have a Fire shrimp and a Cleaner shrimp and they have been very reef friendly
. The only thing I notice is that when I feed my BTA I have to feed my cleaner shrimp first or it will steal the food.
I have had a Peppermint (? never know if it is a camel back) with a LTA and it did fine but one day it disappeared and I never saw it again.
I don't think the emerald crab worked will with it.
The coral banded shrimp picked at my LTA so it lived in my quarantine tank for quite sometime.
No experience with the rest.

X

xrobbx03

yeah i have to monitor my camelback all the time im thinkin about just getting rid of him and getting a cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp instead.

fishychick

I have a coral band and a blood shrimp, but some books claim that blood shrimps eat polyps? Anyone having this problem. Fortunately not me yet.

X

xrobbx03

i was looking to get rid of my camelback and get a cleaner and blood instead.