reef safe?

zachary

Over the past few weeks I've seen several posts saying sally lightfoots and mandarin gobies are not reef safe. Can you give me some opinions with reasons. Thanks

q

It isn't a goby it is a dragonette. They will not eat any corals and usually only copeopods. If the tank is well established and you have enough LR the the dragonette will thive. The only thing I can think of as to why someone would say they are not is because of the fact that they do eat copeopods and could deplete them, but if the tank is set up right it will not happen.
Reef Safe.

jacksonpt

Can't speak on sallys, but mandarines are reef safe. They are often time not recommended because of how difficult they can be to keep. If you have lots of LR (absolute minimum 50lbs, 100lbs recommended minimum) you have a good chance with the mandarine. If it gets enough to eat, they are pretty hardy.

bhav_88

Sally Lightfoot Crabs are called non-safe I think because people have had bad experiences with individuals. They are reef safe, and won't harm anything save other lightfoot crabs and possibly snails if hungry. Some individuals go after fish. I have NEVER heard of them hurting corals. Mine is perfectly fine. You could describe them as "Stuck Up", as they want nothing to do with any other life form, and ignore it in most cases.

fshhub

mandarins are cool, and as mentioned, should not be added unless you have a good supply of food for them, often they will not take to feeding, only hunting
they require75 to 100 lbs of LR and a good amphipo and copepod poulation, and should not be added for at least 1yr after establihing your dets, for they will depleat your supply if you add them before it is well establihed
HTH
good luck