reef sand

littlebuck

well to make it around 2-3 inchs would be good. ALso if you go to walmart they sell old castle so u can get 2 50 lb bags for like $10 and then get a bag of live sand from the LFS. This will end up saving you alot of money on sand.

69stang

thanks for the walmart tip ,so you think about 150#s is good? also mt 92 corner tank is reef ready and i would like to make my own sump is there any sites or threads that show these and explain how to make them. thank you guys for all your help

georgene

Originally Posted by 69stang
thanks for the walmart tip ,so you think about 150#s is good? also mt 92 corner tank is reef ready and i would like to make my own sump is there any sites or threads that show these and explain how to make them. thank you guys for all your help
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1
The first pictures are of my oceanic sump (paid $200.00) it hold about 30 gal of water. The third picture is one we make from a 20-gal tank, cost about $30.00 to make. Will be putting the pump on the left had side and sand on the right hand side. So to make this you will want your glass on the sand side to go to the bottom of the tank and the next piece of glass will be off the bottom about 2 inches. Water from the tank will run into the side with the sand and flow over the first piece of glass and under the second. I have some of those round ceramic filter thing and a sponge between the two pieces of glass. The sponge gets pretty dirty and I clean it every other ware change. Hope this helps.
Georgene

69stang

thanks georgene the pics were very helpful. now i guess i need to figure out fkows and capacities so i dont have a flood if i have a power outage. any one hane ideas about that thanks again.gregg

georgene

69stang said:
thanks georgene the pics were very helpful. now i guess i need to figure out fkows and capacities so i dont have a flood if i have a power outage. any one hane ideas about that thanks again.gregg[/QUOT
You said the tank is reef ready. Then it has an overflow box built in. If so when the power goes out you will not have that much water flowing down to the sump. When I do a water change on my I only get about 3 gal of water into the sump from the main tank. Then when I turn the pump back on the sump is left with the right amount of water.