Reef Supplements

mdmacolyte

Hi Everyone =)
My tank is now fully cycled and this weekend we are going shopping for cleaner crew livestock! I have little to no faith in the LFS anymore, so before we head out anywhere, I wanted to know what, if any, reef supplements you all recommend for reef tanks. I was looking at a supplement with calcium, strontium, and iodide, but I am clueless as to if these are even really necessary in the long run (heck, Im doing good to just spell them). In the long term we are going to have corals and anemones, a couple clowns, and some other reef friendly fishies, aside from the obvious cleaner crews (shrimp, hermits, and snails). Any recommendations or otherwise is always welcome! Thank you!

T

tizzo

Only if you have tests kits first, then buy calcium and an alkalinity. I like the B-ionic 2 part, others use a "buffer" for alk and calcium for calcium. Don't waste your money on all that other stuff. Your tank needs it, but your salt will supply it through water changes. Don't buy liquid foods til you get corals (if you want them even then).
While your there though, look into Salifert's flatworm exit and some kind of iodine dip for your corals. These last 2 recomendations are used as dips, not put into the tank!

mdmacolyte

Thanks Tizzo!
I have only been testing the basics (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH), so I will be looking into getting other tests (calcium, alkalinity). I have been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Kit - is this still a reputable brand or is there another "master kit" I should check into getting? I figured it would probably be a good idea to keep my test kits current with the brand (AP, Red Sea, etc.), or is that just me being overly conscientious?? LOL Any recommendations?? Thanks again!

cjeffrey77

Hi i'm new also, my tanks been going for about three months now, I have 2-percula clowns & i'm getting ready to buy my first corals. I was wondering Tizzo if you or someone else would go into more detail on the flatworm exit & the iodine dip. If you don't mind would you list for us the liquid foods that you get for corals that are the better ones to use. & also could you give a little info on feeding regimins for corals, how often, how much and any other info that we should know right off the bat. Thanks a bunch for any help!
Chrissie

T

tizzo

Originally posted by MdmAcolyte
Thanks Tizzo!
I have only been testing the basics (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH), so I will be looking into getting other tests (calcium, alkalinity). I have been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Kit - is this still a reputable brand or is there another "master kit" I should check into getting? I figured it would probably be a good idea to keep my test kits current with the brand (AP, Red Sea, etc.), or is that just me being overly conscientious?? LOL Any recommendations?? Thanks again!

Aquarium Pharm, and Red sea and others make way to many products for me to trust their test kits like I should. I like Salifert when it comes to test kits. That's what they do, that's what their good at. Easy to read, easy to use, and overall I think most people when they start using Salifert, switching to another brand would be considered a down grade, IMO.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by CJEFFREY77
Hi i'm new also, my tanks been going for about three months now, I have 2-percula clowns & i'm getting ready to buy my first corals. I was wondering Tizzo if you or someone else would go into more detail on the flatworm exit & the iodine dip. If you don't mind would you list for us the liquid foods that you get for corals that are the better ones to use. & also could you give a little info on feeding regimins for corals, how often, how much and any other info that we should know right off the bat. Thanks a bunch for any help!
Chrissie

Well as a dip, Flatworm Exit eliminates the parasite before it has a chance to enter your tank. This whole ordeal woulda been prevented with Salifert's Exit...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...light=Flatworm
As far as Iodine, I use a Kent product called Tech*D. For some reason it's hard to find now. I got it from my LFS but it will aid in the prevention of other parasites and fungus and such.
As far as suspension foods, I don't add any persay...
I use a shot glass, fill it half way with tank water, a squirt of Phyto, not the expensive DT's just plain ol' phytoplankton and a very small squirt of Kents microvert and a chunk of cyclop-eeze. I suck it up into a syringe I got from the drug store and target feed. I refreeze the concoction to reuse later. One shotglass will usually last about a month. I only feed the LPS's. The SPS's will get what floats around.

zbrook1

I use C-Balance(two part) and two drops per week of Kent Marine iodine in a 55 gal and things are doing just fine(knock,knock)