Reef Tank Additives

mrdrago

I have a question related to reef tank additives that come in part A & B. The instructions say to add it to my reef tank every three days (about 1 tsp per 20 gallons). I have been doing this, but none of my water tests, test for these chemicals. Do I need to? I am a little concerned about just blindly adding them, but the tank and inhabitants seem to be doing great.

nm reef

Most of the 2 part additives are for building levels of calcium and alkalinity. You probably should test these levels on a regular basis so you'll have an idea of where they are at. Most agree that accteptable ranges are...calcium 400-450 ppm...alkalinity 2.8-3.5 meg/l...in addition I'd also test ammonia/nitrite(these 2 on newer systems)...nitrate/phosphate/specific gravity/ph.....personally I prefer the salifert tests(readily available/accurate/relatively in-expensive.
By the way welcome to the board....hope the folks here help and in turn I hope you help the folks at the board!!! :cool:

mrdrago

Thanks. I probably should have been more specific. I test for PH, Salinity, Nitrates, Nitrities, Phosphates, Calcium. However, I do not test for the other chemicals found in part A & B like magnesium, stronium, etc.. It is these chemicals that worry me. My calcium level is at 480.

goldrush

Like NM said,2 part additives are usually calcium related.Strot and moly. are usually 1 part.calc at 480 is ok,don't let it get too high though.

psumba

What happens if Calcium level gets to high?
What happens if Alk level gets to high?
I am still struggling with these 2 additions to my tank - can create any stability.
I am just praying that I dont have another pH crash. My Xenia has not been the same since...