Reef tank additives

dzones

Now that I have my reef setup and running I was wondering about all of the additives I should be putting in.
I have bought different ones and have been adding the following:
Iodine
Kalkwasser (via drip pump)
strontium
molybdenum
essentially I need to know if there is anything I am missing. I have just started my kalkwasser drip today. I assume I keep that going on slow drip like 24/7 right?
I have a reef test kit but I don't put much faith into it, it is made by red sea and it only measures phosphates, nitrates and calcium. I have been using the additives from that kit so far. (except the kalk)
What kits or test are recommended? Andif there is any other additive I need please feel free to let me know.
Oh I am feeding phytoplankton through my sump as well..just at the point of re-entry to the tank
thanks in advance!

timsedwards

Hi there,
Stupid question, you are testing pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and dKH arent you? These are the most essential things you should test.
Are you dripping the kalk into your sump? If so is it lighted 24/7? If your sump is lit 24/7 then yes drip 24/7, if not then you should only drip when lights are off. Unless you can add white vinegar to the kalk.
I think you should test and dose accordingly for Magnesium. This is also essential with the kalk/ca/alk balance.
All I would say is be careful with the additives, 99% of what our tanks need is in the salt.
All the best,
Tim.

nm reef

I try to keep additives simple and use only what I can accurately test for. I use Seachems Reef Builder and Reef Advantage to establish levels of calcium and alkalinity...plus once a week I use Seachems Magnesium to establish levels of Magnesium. I drip kalk 24/7 to replace evaporation and to help maintain established levels of calcium/alkalinity. All other trace elements including iodine are replenished via monthly water changes using Instant Ocean salt.
For test kits I'd suggest Salifert. I keep ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph/calcium/alkalinity/magnesium/phosphates on hand and only test calcium and alkalinity on a regular basis.:cool:

dzones

first off thanks for the replies.
secondly,
yes the light from my fuge lights the sump 24/7. I have been hearing a lot of good things about sailfert test kits. I think I will change mine to that brand.
Yes i do all my regular testing such as Amonia/nitrites/trates/Phosphates/alk/ph/calcium
I have only added iodine and kalwasser at this point. i have the others that i mentioned earlier that i did add one time when i first got ther kit. i do not know of test for iodine but have heard if you have a skimmer you need to add it from time to time. i just add 2 tsp for my 125 every 10 days or so.
I think i will halt any adding till later this week when i can get some better testers in.
thanks
Dave