Reef tank lighting?

btrs

Whats the most beutiful reef tank lighting? I always see beatiful reef tanks with beautiful lighting, but I don't know what type of lighting it is.

E

eric b 125

It's different from tank to tank. There are pros and cons to every type of reef lighting. There are T5 fixtures, metal halide fixtures and pendants, LED fixtures, etc etc. There are combinations of all types of lighting fixtures, it all depends on what your light demands are and also what your budget will allow.

snakeblitz33

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lighting in the pictures we post on the computer is almost never the actual color temp of the real tank.
Find some lighta at your fish store or at a friends that you like and ask them about it. Color, color temp, brand bulbs, brand ballast etc.
The neat thing about leds, besides saving heat and electricity, is that you can customize dimable fixtures to the exact color temp that you like.

btrs

Ya, and Only LEDs give you the moonlight option for night, what do you do at night if you don't have LEDs? Also in your opinion, which lighting looks best?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRS http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3522379
Ya, and Only LEDs give you the moonlight option for night, what do you do at night if you don't have LEDs? Also in your opinion, which lighting looks best?
Hi, moonlights are a different LED, you can buy a full strip of blue or red lights on eBay for $20.00.
I always loved the dancing shimmer of the Metal Halides (MH). The draw backs...They run hot, and you need fans to cool it off, they also eat up lots of electricity and the bulbs have to be replaced once a year. My bulbs cost $70.00 each, and my 48 inch unit took 2 as well as 2 actinic (blue fluorescent) which also cost $30.00 each.
I have never had an LED light...they sounded awesome, so I did some research a little over two years ago (that means the problems I found may be fixed now) LED fixtures are gaining in popularity. The light dances just like the MHs, or so I have been told.
Personally, unless you build it yourself
, I wouldn't purchase LEDs...they are not cheap, and the little bulbs (hundreds of them it seems) can't be individually replaced. It's a toss away light, but it outlasts the bulbs of other fixtures for years. The problem I found with them is that sometimes only a few bulbs stop working, and you can't just toss out a light you paid $500.00 + for, so you're stuck with a light that doesn't have all the bulbs lit until you throw it away. However, those who build a unit themselves, know how to take it apart and replace a bulb...the store bought units have no place that sells replacement bulbs that match the unit. I'm not handy enough to build my own, so I passed on getting that type of lighting.

snakeblitz33

Actually, flower, your both right and wrong. Just giving information,ok?
Reefbreeder led lights have bridgelux leds. You can buy replacement bulbs and ballasts and replace them yourself. Also, these units come with a two year warranty and i believe they will replace it if the unit has problems. If you can build a led light yourself you should also be able to fix one of these commercial units relatively easily.
Personally, i could build an led light myself, but i dont have the time to do it and would rather buy a unit that i could fix than one from scratch.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3522396
Actually, flower, your both right and wrong. Just giving information,ok?
Reefbreeder led lights have bridgelux leds. You can buy replacement bulbs and ballasts and replace them yourself. Also, these units come with a two year warranty and i believe they will replace it if the unit has problems. If you can build a led light yourself you should also be able to fix one of these commercial units relatively easily.
Personally, i could build an led light myself, but i dont have the time to do it and would rather buy a unit that i could fix than one from scratch.
LOL...I figured in two years the "problem" was solved, since folks want to stay in business.
I was just explaining the problem I found two years ago and why I didn't opt to get one. I no longer keep any corals except the mushrooms in the seahorse tanks, so now I have T5HO lighting...I have a MH unit in the garage...it's too big to try and ship... but anyone who wants to come pick it up, can have it for free. It's a 48 inch 2 X 175w with 2 x 95w actinic (Coralife unit with two ballasts)
If you want to do a road trip Snake...it's free.

red tiger

T5 are good starter light set ups, their not so expensive to start but must replace bulbs every 10-12 months.
I am using two Kessil 350W fixtures over my tank, their a bit expensive and 399 a piece but they are dimable and can adjust the color temp between 6500k up to 20000k
Also the LED's add the shimmer in the water that I love and my coral seem to respond well to them. They have been running about 7 months now and no complaint as of yet.

miamiscoobaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRS http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3522368
Whats the most beutiful reef tank lighting? I always see beatiful reef tanks with beautiful lighting, but I don't know what type of lighting it is.
I think LEDs display the most beautiful intensities of light. They really made the aquarium as bright as can be. Most produce a good amount of lumens & 8000*K. On the plus side, their are universal strips that you can mix up to create your own combination of actinic lighting & bright white then having to spend hundreds on an expensive florescent fixture. Most award wining displays & research facilities are currently using LEDs because they're the most versatile & inexpensive form of aquarium light.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiscoobaguy http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3523057
I think LEDs display the most beautiful intensities of light. They really made the aquarium as bright as can be. Most produce a good amount of lumens & 8000*K. On the plus side, their are universal strips that you can mix up to create your own combination of actinic lighting & bright white then having to spend hundreds on an expensive florescent fixture. Most award wining displays & research facilities are currently using LEDs because they're the most versatile & inexpensive form of aquarium light.
Most of the LED strip lights available on the market are using 1 watt LED diodes. These do put out some good looking light, but as far as sustaining light hungry corals, they fall way short. To satisfy the corals that need more light, the fixtures that use 3 watt diodes do a much better job. But with these better fixtures you are looking at a much higher price tag. The initial price of a decent T5 florescent fixture is much lower then a high quality LED fixture (the long term price of the LED's will be cheaper then the T5's by being more energy efficient and not having to replace bulbs).
Oh and BTW. I don't know of any reef keepers that use lights in the color range below 10000K. Most, if not all are between 10K and 20K for their display tank. And for reef keeping we really don't care about lumens, we use PAR and PUR for values that really matter.

miamiscoobaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3523063
Most of the LED strip lights available on the market are using 1 watt LED diodes. These do put out some good looking light, but as far as sustaining light hungry corals, they fall way short. To satisfy the corals that need more light, the fixtures that use 3 watt diodes do a much better job. But with these better fixtures you are looking at a much higher price tag. The initial price of a decent T5 florescent fixture is much lower then a high quality LED fixture (the long term price of the LED's will be cheaper then the T5's by being more energy efficient and not having to replace bulbs).
Oh and BTW. I don't know of any reef keepers that use lights in the color range below 10000K. Most, if not all are between 10K and 20K for their display tank. And for reef keeping we really don't care about lumens, we use PAR and PUR for values that really matter.
1. What wattage, volts, hertz, etc, etc, etc, don't matter. What matters is the color temperature of light that is being produced not how much energy is needed to produce it mate.
2. The sun puts out 6,500*K on a partly cloudy day & 10,000+*K on a blue sky day. These are the conditions of an ACTUAL REEF. The reason why I mention lumens is because some corals require more light (LUMENS) then others & not only that but the ratio of tank depth to lumens.
3. Their are plenty of LEDs in this industry that are priced around 30$-50$ & produce at least 8,000*K. We use these in almost all our reef tanks in my university's biology lab. Depending on the corals, they all contain these guidelines & are all thriving.

snakeblitz33

Miami , watts dont matter when it comes to any light, but the photosynthetic active radiation or PAR is a very important number to look at. 1w diodes simply do not have the PAR to grow a reef tank, even if it is 8000k.
Lighting requirements are also subject to change based on what coral your wanting to keep. Most red light from the sun is also filtered out before it reaches many soft and lps corals. Actinic (blue) light has enough energy to penetrate the water enough to provide enough light for deeper water corals for their xooxanthellae to make glucose. Shallow water sps corals are perhaps what you are talking about?

miamiscoobaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395594/reef-tank-lighting#post_3523079
Miami , watts dont matter when it comes to any light, but the photosynthetic active radiation or PAR is a very important number to look at. 1w diodes simply do not have the PAR to grow a reef tank, even if it is 8000k.
Lighting requirements are also subject to change based on what coral your wanting to keep. Most red light from the sun is also filtered out before it reaches many soft and lps corals. Actinic (blue) light has enough energy to penetrate the water enough to provide enough light for deeper water corals for their xooxanthellae to make glucose. Shallow water sps corals are perhaps what you are talking about?
You're right PAR/PUR is extremely important. Thanks for mentioning it. It didn't really cross my mind to touch on that bit. I mean, the reason why I didn't is just cause in order to produce full spectrum light you need to cover 400nm-700nm (spikes in blue & red for PUR as you mentioned) anyway just figured it was pre-understood & since most of the lights or LEDs that I've seen have this PAR rating I really didn't think about any others that don't.