reef tank questions???

wolffvet

I have been poking around this site and many other trying to find out info about reef tanks. I have just recently converted from freshwater. I have my tank and everything set up now. My salinity is around 1.023 and my ph is between 8.2 and 8.3 according to the color card that came with my test kit, and my temp is around 76-77. Is this about right? Also, when can a start adding things like algae and corals and stuff? I know I am supposed to wait until it cycles to add fish and stuff. What minerals and supplements do I need to add to the water for
the corals and such? Sorry for being so long winded and for all of the questions, but I have already invested a lot of money and just don't want to waste any by screw ups that could be avoided.

wolffam

Will need to test some other things also if you haven't already, Nitrites, Ammonia, Nitrates, Phosphates, Calcium, Alkalinity. All of these need to be within correct ranges. I added my first fish 45 days after I started. Patience is the key to this hobby. Corals need extra care, based on what you get determines what extra might be needed. Most if the time, regular water changes will replenish the needed supplements, I add "Liquid Calcium" and "Essential Elements" by Kent Marine to my tank on a regular bases. HTH

von_rahvin

IMO your PH is a little high for a reef tank. you need it more around 8.0. I keep my reef between 78-81 deg. 78 in the morning and 81 rightbefoe the lights go off. before you add anything to the tank you need to make sure it is cycled. you need to get your test kit out and test for ammonia nitirtes and nitrates. when they are all back to 0 then it is ok to start adding corals and fish. I would first add a cleanup crew. SWF.com here has some great ones that are vey reasonable and quite effective.
get a soft coral for you first one, something like a colt coral some mushrooms or some green start polyp. all of these should do wel in your tank.

wolffvet

I tested my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and they are all at 0 right now. i do not have the test kits for the others right now but I will go to my LFS and get them. My LFS said that a ph around 8.2 was ideal for a reef, if it is not then I will try to lower it. What about my salinity?

karlas

actually if you ph is 8.2 dont touch it there is an acceptable range 8.1-8.4 but your perfect with that right now. for salinity people keep them at different levels but 1.021-1.025 is good. how long has it been set up as a salt tank? you have to cycle it. the amm and nitrites will rise and when return to 0 the cycle is complete. after the cycle add a clean up crew to help maintain the alge blooms all new tanks will go through these.
then you could add some easy to keep fish, but corals shouldn't be added until the tank is somewhat established. at least 6 mths or so. alge blooms in new tanks can suffocate corals, and chances are there will be more than one of these.
as far as other test nitrates should be kept low. alk 9-12dkh, and calcium 400-450. and a good salt with regular water changes will add most of your trace elements needed for corals.

ren

As posted salinity and pH are good. Just want to suggest adding more sand - I used 80lbs in a 54gl tank to get almost 5" depth. 4-6" is a good base.
How long has the tank been setup? I don't think you have made a cycle as of yet. Did you use any Live sand?
To cycle you can use fish-damsels- but it is hard on them and then you are left with them in the tank - next to impossible to catch em. I would suggest that you use some raw shrimp from the grocery store to cycle with.

broomer5

My two cents -
You are off to a very good start.
Your numbers look very good to me too.
Get those additional test kits and use them frequently - especially at the onset of your reef tank. Later on you'll have some direct first hand experience of YOUR individual tank - and may not need to test as often.
Good lighting that matches or exceeds your coral's needs, excellent quality foods, plenty of water circulation and gas exchange, a low bioload to water volume capacity and most important in my opinion - total water quality.
If you provide for the above basic needs - then your focus should be to take care of the water.
Take good care of the water and the rest will take care of itself.

wolffvet

I appreciate the replys. I just added my suump wet/dry trickle filter and the pump my buuddy gave me quit and water went all over the floor. What is the best pump for a 65 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump? I really need to find one. i know have my power heads trying to run everything until I find one.