reef temp

jonthefishguy

if you start at 77 a degree or two up wont be so bad. But once you start at 80 and then go a degree or two, bleaching can occur. remember if you are not using an adequate filteration system that helps oxygenate the water, the warmer the water, the less oxygen there is in it.

bizoid

jon. please keep in mind that i am a noob. what is bleaching?? i recently added a chiller because i was tired of putting ice bags in tank. i have an in-line sump with lr filtration & skimer.

jonthefishguy

Zooxanthellae (microscopic algae) live in the tissue of many corals in a symbiotic relationship. Up to 90 per cent of the coral’s energy requirements comes from the zooxanthellae so corals are highly dependant on this symbiotic relationship.Coral bleaching occurs when the coral host expels its zooxanthellae. Photosynthetic pigments of the zooxanthellae give corals much of their colour. Therefore without the zooxanthellae, the tissue of the coral animal appears transparent and the coral’s bright white skeleton is revealed.Corals begin to starve once they bleach. While some corals are able to feed themselves, most corals struggle to survive without their zooxanthellae. If conditions return to normal, corals can regain their zooxanthellae, return to normal colour and survive. This stress, however, is likely to cause decreased coral growth and reproduction, and increased susceptibility to disease.

bizoid

jon. are you a coraloligist or scientist or something? could you pretty please break that down in laymans terms for the steeeeelers noob.

jonthefishguy

there are living algae in coral, if the water gets too warm, they loose their color and starve, then die.....sometimes they come back, but most times they just die.

bizoid

jon. my tank was reaching 84 degrees @ times. when i added my chiller i immedeately put temp @ 76. so this could be the reason why a couple of things have died on me? are you a coralologist or not???

jonthefishguy

no, I am not. I am a business owner in this field. I own an Aquarium Maintenance Sales and Service company. There are too many variables on why something may have died, but if you had constant fluctuations of temperatures reaching and/or exceeding 84 degrees, that can play a part

bizoid

thanks for the input jon. maybe i'll get my head out of my a## one day & have an educated conversation about tanking with you

perfectdark

Im curious where your facts come from that anything above 80 will cause bleaching? I know reefers that keep their tanks at a constant 84 degress and have no issues. I keep mine at 80 and flucuations occur between 79 and 82. Zooxanthellea is a product of photosynthesis and PAR in light. Temperature may play a part in weather or not your corals like to open at a higher temp. But as far as producing Zoox I would think that a temp in the upper 80's would start to show issues, then I could understand stress and bleaching. Im not sure but interested, thats my only reason for questioning this.

fishieness

temp could defiantly cause bleaching. However, i would say that any temp above 80 degrees would. I know a lot of sps reefers that keep their temp at 82 an still have great color. I think the worst part is the fluctuations that occure at night when the lights are off and the room gets cold. You are goign to have a much higher fluctuation than if you kept the tank cooler.

txstudent

i just would like to add that the reason natural coral reefs are in danger of coral bleaching is because of global warming. If the waters raise another 5 degrees, the symbiotic algae will not be able to photosynthesize nutrients for the coral... temp is very important to the safety of all living organisms.....us included.
p.s. if you want me to send u a link on a research study done on this i can.
- john

gatorwpb

Ive read over on -- about some people believing that they get greater growth rates of their corals when the temp is kept just above 80. In the 80-82 range. Causes faster metabolic rates I guess.

FWIW, I keep my tank at 79-80.5.

donald

My 55g is from 82 - 84. It has a natural and gradual swing. I have my lights timed, moonlights, then blues, then middays + blues, then blues, then moonlights. I think it is natural, like the ocean heating up durring the day.