reef temp

fishieness

one thign to keep in mind, the ocean really doesnt heat up during the day... something like a tidal pool or in super shallow areas would, but deep down, where corals live, there really isnt a temperature change. Water's specific heat is so high that there isnt that big of a change from day to night.

dallas612

Originally Posted by fishieness
one thign to keep in mind, the ocean really doesnt heat up during the day... something like a tidal pool or in super shallow areas would, but deep down, where corals live, there really isnt a temperature change. Water's specific heat is so high that there isnt that big of a change from day to night.
i thought that corals didn't live deep down. i thought that they were close to the surface in the ocean due to sunlight.

scubanoah

you would be very surprised how deep you see corals and how many corals are underneath ledges not getting much light at all.

jonthefishguy

10 K is roughly equivalent to 0 to 30 ft deep, 14 K is roughly 30 to 60 ft deep and 20 K pretty much covers the rest of the depth. Yes there are many corals that live deep within the ocean that live receive very little if any sunlight. SOME coral adapt to warmer temps better than others. But most dont do well. Constant fluctuation in temperature will cause issues as well.

shrimpi

Ultimately temperature depends on what you are keeping in your tank...
but yeah somewhere close to the 80degree mark plus/minus 3 degrees.
Jess

mushroomss

everyone has their own ideas and experiences with temperature.I would prefer to keep mine at 79.That way if the temp ever swings either way your coral should be ok.

hurt

My sps reef stays between 82-84, and I have never had a coral bleach.
The following info is taken from a member of another large board who is a marine biologist. Again, not my words, but this is verbatim in which he wrote me back.
I first asked him about how much the ocean temp can fluctuate throughout the day. His response:
"I guess I'm not sure exactly what you'd like to know but I'll try to answer. Over the course of 24 hrs the temp. can be very stable on some portions of a reef and very unstable on other portions. On reef flats, in shallow lagoons, and in areas without fast rates of exchange with the ocean it isn't at all unusual for the temp to vary 5-10 F (or even more) over the course of 24 hrs. In fact, the temp. may fluctuate that much in less than an hour as the tide comes back in and cools down an area. On forereefs the temp. tends to be pretty stable over the course of a day since there is constant mixing with the ocean. Seasonally most reefs experience ups and downs in temp. Reefs close to the equator tend to not have as large a seasonal variation as reefs further from the equator, but it's still noticable. For instance, in Belau the winter temp might average 82 F while the summer temp averages 86 F. In the southernmost part of the GBR the temp. might average 74 F for a couple months in winter and 84 F during the summer. Most corals calcify and grow slower in the winter than during the summer, though they do still grow. How much slower depends on how cool it gets during the winter. Corals in Belau probably don't experience a very dramatic difference in growth between seasons while those in the southern GBR definitely do.
I think that's probably fine to have some fluctuation. I've never had problems with daily fluctuations of up to 4-5 F (e.g., min. 79-80, max 84). I would try to keep the daily fluctuation from exceeding this as I don't think allowing the temp. to fluctuate more than this is necessarily a good thing. Is it tolerable? Yes, most definitely. Is it stressful and less than ideal? Probably. Something to keep in mind is that nature does not necessarily offer an ideal environment. There are storms, freshwater deluges, extreme low tides, slack waves from doldrums, etc. which all kill corals. Yes, corals and many animals can tolerate environments like reef flats with lots of daily variability, but they may be growing in spite of these conditions, not because of them. For that reason I wouldn't advise draining a tank twice a month and letting the corals fry under the halides for an hour, even though corals in nature might tolerate similar conditions. Having said all that, a little variation with a range of say 5 F daily is fine IMO. Also, a little fluctuation tends to desensitize corals to bigger swings if something goes wrong (chiller fails, AC breaks, etc.). Sometimes folks try to keep the temp. rock solid (e.g., 78+/-0.1 F) only to find that when the temp. does spike for whatever reason temps. that are normally tolerable (e.g., 84 F) cause severe bleaching. A mean temp. +/- 1-2 F daily is fine IMO and maybe even desirable.
"

hurt

I then asked him what temp he would say is ideal, his response:
"Hmmm, good question. Well, I would say that what "ideal" is depends on what the goals are. If the goal is maximize coral growth in addition to providing a temperature that is suitable for other organisms I'd shoot for a temp. of 27-28.5 C (80.6-83.3 F). Most corals experience a optimum for linear extension in that range and many experience a calcification optimum in that range too.
Some corals have calcification optima at higher temps, but most are pretty close to max. calcification at about those temps. These are also very comfortable and normal temps for any of the animals in out tanks, even those from cooler places like Hawaii. These are, essentially, summer-time temperatures from cool places and mean year-round temps for average and warm places. So, I wouldn't necessarily call this ideal for every contingency, but I'd shoot for a mean temp of 80-83 and call it good enough."

mushroomss

The only reason temp swings like that are even possible in the ocean is the shear volume of water and the quality of it.There is no way in a home reef tank you could have it swinging 5-10 degrees a day.EVERYTHING would be dead guranteed.The reason say keep it at 79 is that so if it swings either way you should be ok.keeping your tank at 84 isent a great idea.If it swings 2-3 degrees hotter your in big trouble.Just my 2 cents

mushroomss

no problem.Just tryin to help out the general population of people on here.Most of us have smaller tanks that tend to swing.Of course the bigger tanks 100gallon+ dont swng much at all.So a higher temp is acceptable for some but not most

reefking121212

Originally Posted by bizoid
jon. my tank was reaching 84 degrees @ times. when i added my chiller i immedeately put temp @ 76. so this could be the reason why a couple of things have died on me? are you a coralologist or not???

the name of the game is to have no huge fluctuations in anything.Temp. salinity.etc.Im almost positive that huge temp change killed your corals. Ive heard of tanks up to 84 degrees .my tank is a chillerless24 that goes from78 to 82 degrees and does fine although i heard you want 3 degrees or less of temp change

reefer545

I hade to get a ciller to stop Large daily swings from the lights,and the apartment heat. I keep my tank at exactly 78 degrees, if it gets to 80, the chiller kicks in and 78 within 15 and thirty minuts. When is cold in my apartment in the winter, i have the heater set 78 on the button so any decrease is correctd asap. I one time came home and found the people moving my new furniture had turned off the chiller and the tank was at 85-86 degrees from after just a couple hours. I freaked out, and had to slowly - one degree at a time bring it back down with the chiller. Large temp swings are issues that should be like acclimating new inhabitants cuz they cant take the change fast and there has to be intervals of time between each decrease or upcrease so as not to stress them too much. And we know the tank we buy from is in close poorximity tou ours alread tank wise + less acclimation to a smaller shift in temp. I do also have a modest 24 g and as we all know changes in small tnaks often snowball effect.

perfectdark

Well all I can say is that I had my tank spike to 89* inside of a 12 hour period due to a faulty heater. It had been 78* when I went to bed and it was 89 the next day. I lost nothing no inverts no fish no corals. Im not saying they werent stressed. A couple of my corals were really stressed and didnt open for 3 days. However they all survived the ordeal and are still living today.

D

dennis210

Everyone will have an opinion and it's what actually works for their own system. Remember that you can put 2 or 3 thermometers in a tank and get 2 or 3 readings also. Myself I set the chiller to come on when the water temp hits 78.3 - the actual recorded temp then swings from 77.8 to 79.3
on a daily basis. I have never had much luck myself with temps above 80 for long periods of time. I also have had little success with lower temps where a chiller is set to 77 and temps swing down into the 76 range.
I personallt tell everyone who asks to strive for 78 - 79 and the inhabitants will like it!