reef temps?

flip_floppin

Hey everyone, fantastic site!
I'm sorry, i know this has been asked a zillion times. I have searched here and asked the question at various Marine shops. I seem to come up with various answers. I set up a 24 g bio cube two days ago. Lights off, and the temp stays at 81. I keep the thermostat for my air conditioner at 75. Its a brand new very efficient town home. The tank is down stairs where it stays a constant 76.
I plan to keep soft corals and a few very small fish. Is 81 going to be to hot for my water? What temp range should i shoot for? If i need it cooler how can one cool it down. I see 72 to 78 for the fish i plan to keep. I read on one site last night that said the ocean gets to 90 and above so why worry about the temps being around 81. Is 81 or 82 going to be to warm?
Thanks for your time!
Tim

florida joe

More then temp. Fluctuation should be your concern. You want to keep your temp as stable as possible. The average natural reed temperature runs between 27 – 29 degrees C (80-84 degrees F) people tend to keep their tanks at a lower temperature because it was assumed that a lower temperature lessened the proliferation of problem hair algae. The thinking now is that at a higher more natural temperature the entire metabolism of your tank is raised, including those of the microbial community, detritus processing organisms and herbivores. IMO and my own practice I like to stay at the lower end of the 80-84 F range which gives me a safety factor as far as over heating my tank goes]
Also I checked data on reef temperature from approximately 1000 reefs and the max recorded temp was 93 F. many aquarists report though that coral bleaching accured at water over 90 F. this temperature was maintained in a non fish reef tank. As a side note the lethal low temp for corals is below 41 f and above 115 F.
I may have set the record for using the word temperature in one post

spiderwoman

I think a lot of hobbiests that come to SW from FW tend to keep the temperature lower. Our FW tank runs at 75.

paintballer768

Keep it between 74-80, and any of those as long as its as consistent as possible! 80+ could cause corals to melt or fish to be stressed.

florida joe

Can you please post some information on your statement of anything above 80 degrees F causing corals to “Melt and fish to be stressed”?

oceana

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2622032
Keep it between 74-80, and any of those as long as its as consistent as possible! 80+ could cause corals to melt or fish to be stressed.

this is an old school way of thinking and quickly being proved wrong. When i started around 10 years ago this was the common temp but most of the experienced reef keepers of today run in the low 80's. i have been running my tanks in at 81-82 degree by choice for 5+ years. you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to say my tanks unhealthy, melting or stressed

cowfishrule

i keep mine at 77.0. with lights on, by end of day, it may reach 77.8, 77.9.
i think anywhere from 77 to 82, 83 is ok. just as long as its stable and constant.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/2623080
this is an old school way of thinking and quickly being proved wrong. When i started around 10 years ago this was the common temp but most of the experienced reef keepers of today run in the low 80's. i have been running my tanks in at 81-82 degree by choice for 5+ years. you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to say my tanks unhealthy, melting or stressed
Oh. I heard that from a local reefer, whom Ive found was wrong on a few things as well, so I believe you. It got me curious how corals would be able to survive in the Gulf Stream Current if this was correct.

florida joe

Pick any reef in the world and I guarantee you the temp runs between 61 degrees F and 93 degrees F and a side note in nature coral reefs do not form where the average annual temperature is below 65F