reef trigger

drtito

As far as reef tanks go what would yoy guys recomend in triggers something calm that wont eat anything in the tank. corals,inverts,fish.
I saw a few ,but wanted to ask first. also staying alive is more important then looking good for my tank.

nycbob

i am sure u know nothing is 100% certain when it comes to livestocks. the onlt triggers that r considered reef safe r niger and blue-throat. they wont bother ur corals, but will most likely eat inverts like crabs.

wangotango

Bluejaws, pinktails, crosshatch, and niger are usually safe with corals. Shrimp will probably be eaten.
-Justin

drtito

to be honest I only have 6 fish in my 125 (5 small/1 med)and wanted another fish.
i have tried some fish out but all die within a month, right now all I am looking for is a fish that wont eat my other fish,corals,or inverts.
Any fish medd - large

drtito

I tried to move up to fish that have/had a poor survival rate in tanks. picky eaters that would not eat normaly or did not get along with tank mates.
Some get eaten for being weak, other returned to LFS.
The six I have in there now seem fine. Now I am thinking of fish that will make it in my tank.
The six fish are.
3 green chroms
1 yelllow tang
1 six line
1 white damsel (named O.T.S.S.)

drakken

I had a Huma in my reel for while and he never bothered any corals. However, he ate every snail, shrimp, crab and clam (cleaner clams) he could get in his mouth. So IME reef safe depends on your definition.

deejeff442

i have a 6 inch blue throat and he dont bother anything .
he dont even look at my coral banded shrimp.
very hardy and is out all the time.

ms3

i would love to get a trigger in my tank aswell but after what my coral beauty did to my tank i would be scarred to. plus i have max clam 2 pepperment and 1 coral banned shrimp in there so i guess there is no safe trigger correct?

sman

I have a 5.5in male blue throat, and he doesnt bother anything, hes in a full reef, with several shrimp.

drtito

Blue throat it is then. Thanks for all the info I fell better about the buy having asked first.

deejeff442

sweet looking female.
mine doesnt lay on his side as long as she eats i wouldnt worry about it.
watch your fingers though mine likes to bit mine and they sure do have sharp teeth.

Mine has make a little cave and kinda lays on his side at night. I was also wondering if anyone else has this happen. But when the lights are on he is out and about and eating like a champ so I guess if your does he is alright.

deejeff442

mine eats everything i put in the tank mostly multi-pack frozen with zoe and garlic.
today my trigger looked like it was stuck on the 1 1/4 inch drain tube.
i got nervious and tapped on the glass ,he seems to like to block the tube with the side of his body .what a freak

drtito

Originally Posted by reefaholic33
http:///forum/post/2965113
Mine has make a little cave and kinda lays on his side at night. I was also wondering if anyone else has this happen. But when the lights are on he is out and about and eating like a champ so I guess if your does he is alright.
Hey reefaholic I wanted to ask you if you ever see the sand on your fish, I ask because I saw some spots....I freaked got her out DT and in the QT again. I am not sure if its ICK or sand,(gone now) I am going to wait it out for a month, But have you ever seen sand on your fish?

Originally Posted by DrTITO
http:///forum/post/2979639
Hey reefaholic I wanted to ask you if you ever see the sand on your fish, I ask because I saw some spots....I freaked got her out DT and in the QT again. I am not sure if its ICK or sand,(gone now) I am going to wait it out for a month, But have you ever seen sand on your fish?
Yes!! It freaked me out for awhile and I can not figure out why it happens only to him and not other fish. But IMHO it is for sure substrate cause he let's me touch him now and it brushes right off. Try it

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2964858
also is it normal for a trigger to dig a bit and lay on its side in its cave??

http:///forum/post/2979639
Both very normal for triggers. They like to get into crevices when scared or sleeping. I have had them lay flat on the sand when I have pulled all live rock and there is nowhere for them to go when trying to net them. You will be hard pressed to kill a trigger...they are tanks. As far as the sand goes
they move sand (and rock if they can) all day long. Mine are always getting mouths full of sand and letting it sift out their gills...plus they like to dig alot. You have a perfectly normal trigger...I would be worried if it was not doing these two things