reef vital DNA

kablamo

Hey guys, I have been dosing my tank with reef vital DNA as per LFS recommendation to help with coraline algae growth and propogation of live rock.
I added five lbs of uncured to start the cycle and started dosing with reef vital DNA, I added five lbs of fiji rubble and over night the tank completely cycled.
Here are parameters:
ph 8.3
ammo 0 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate <10 ppm
kh 10
calcium 650 ppm?!? (I'm not even dosing, i think my test kit sucks)
This has only been cycling for a week, was it adding live rock that finished it so fast or was it the reef vital DNA. I'm worrying I don't have an adequite biological filter!
Could I go ahead and start adding livestock?

mbtulimaa

Am I understanding you correctly in that your tank as a whole has only been set up for 1 week? If this is correct you should wait several weeks if not up to 3 months before it has finished cycling and is safe for the addition of livestock and corals. Then the additions must take place slowly, like 1 every 2-3 weeks. Slow and steady is the way to go to achieve a beautiful healthy tank. Just my opinion though.
Amy L. Cone

kablamo

I tested all water parameters and they have been stable over three days at perfect parameters,
Attached is a graph I made of my parameters:
Looks to me like the cycle is over, my question was what caused it to be so fast, the live rock or the reef vital DNA? I am also running my protein skimmer.

wax32

My tank cycled really fast using a mix of cured and uncured rock. The DNA stuff likely had nothing to do with your fast cycle.
All that said, I'd still take is SLOW adding fish to your tank.