Reef vs Fish Only

ric maniac

i have to say i like them both evenly. in reefs the corals are outstanding, and in a fish only tank there are extremely colorefull fish and not to mention eels and sharks.

autofreak44

i like both personaly, so i wont cast a vote. reefs are nice, especialy in small tanks where it is easier for me to pay attention to details. as for larger tanks, i like fish only becasue then you get into the world of show size emperor angels and lions and eels and such. small fish only's IMO are booring becasue you cant hold that many cool fish.

fishkid2

I do like both, but reef a little betterimo. But i do like fish only for some fish like lions and triggers plus the eels too.

bcspeed34

I have to go with reefs, but as reef46 said, it really does get expensive, especially if you have a large tank and want it to look filled with coral, or look like a piece of a reef out in the ocean.
My tank (120g) is boring me right now, I need to get some more fish and rock pronto! (And by more I mean one ;) )

hammerhed7

I have a 46 reef, and a 220 FO, and I really like them both. The corals and smaller fish are cool, but when you have a large tank with large show size fish I think it is equally impressive.

jennythebugg

ok dont beat me but i am more of a fowlr girl i like the corals, but alas whatever tobin wants he gets i cant say no (unless the finances dont permit)
he has me wrapped around his finger so ours will end up being a reef and i will love them too i guess...does coral grow on you like the fish do ?

Good thing I read this thread. I voted reef btw.
But we are going to get another tank... possibly 300 or 600 gal. Then we were going to convert our 125 into a fowlr. But you guys are saying that the bigger tank should be the fish only tank because of the ability to get larger fish??? Hmmm... this is something new to consider

mike22cha

I wish I went fowlr with my 125g, because reefs in smaller tanks are a lot easier to fill and not as expensive.
Bigger tanks 125g+ make great fowlr because most fish that are fish only need at least 100g. I would make my 20g a reef and 125g a fowlr except my parents already bought me expensive lighting.

crimzy

A similar thread was started a couple years ago. Here was my response then and it hasn't changed:
Reefers are a bunch of losers... Who else would spend hundreds of dollars on something that can't even move? How much enjoyment can you get sitting for hours watching your leather coral do nothing. At least when you watch paint dry, you can see some progress. Why not just sit and watch a picture of an ocean for hours? Really, I mean I love my front lawn but I'm not spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on a blade of grass. OOOOHHHH, it's so exciting to watch it grow.
Some may argue that to keep such an environment takes intelligence... ha. To spend hours upon hours testing calcium, phosphates and other things I've never heard of just shows a lack of better things to do. Besides, the brightest people at my high school still didn't have dates to prom.

At least fish have some personality and there is something to watch.
BTW, this is all in good fun (I hope it's taken that way)... but it's time to drop the gloves.
Bring it on...

mike22cha

Wouldn't liverock be the grass and corals the flowers? FOWLR has lr. Even LR costs hundreds for a large supply.
Why would you spend a couple hundred dollars for rock? It's just rock? Why not make the rock actually look good?
The bright guys might not get the date to prom, but they are the ones that end up making the $$$$$$$$, and most of the rich guys I've seen get some pretty hot dates.IMO

Originally Posted by crimzy
A similar thread was started a couple years ago. Here was my response then and it hasn't changed:
Reefers are a bunch of losers... Who else would spend hundreds of dollars on something that can't even move? How much enjoyment can you get sitting for hours watching your leather coral do nothing. At least when you watch paint dry, you can see some progress. Why not just sit and watch a picture of an ocean for hours? Really, I mean I love my front lawn but I'm not spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on a blade of grass. OOOOHHHH, it's so exciting to watch it grow.
Some may argue that to keep such an environment takes intelligence... ha. To spend hours upon hours testing calcium, phosphates and other things I've never heard of just shows a lack of better things to do. Besides, the brightest people at my high school still didn't have dates to prom.

BTW, this is all in good fun (I hope it's taken that way)... but it's time to drop the gloves.
Bring it on...

That's cute. I think smart people are more attractive than good looking people. thank you very much.
But seriously. It's not necessarily about the movement. It's about taking something small and growing it into something big, colorful and beautiful. It's an accomplishment that's fulfilling and rewarding. To see new buds pop up, proving that you are doing something right...
If you bought a reef tank filled with corals then yeah, it would be pretty, but you wouldn't get that same feeling of achievement.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by crimzy

Bring it on...

lets bring it! put them gloves back on!

fisherkid91

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Wouldn't liverock be the grass and corals the flowers? FOWLR has lr. Even LR costs hundreds for a large supply.
Why would you spend a couple hundred dollars for rock? It's just rock? Why not make the rock actually look good?
I think thats a good point. And if you take the same size reef and FOWLR the reef is going to look better, no matter what the size.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
The bright guys might not get the date to prom, but they are the ones that end up making the $$$$$$$$, and most of the rich guys I've seen get some pretty hot dates.IMO
good point.

kirkland

We had a 55g reef for 2 years. The tank was aged and difficult to maintain so it was a relief when we tore it down and did a 100 gallon FOWLR for 5 years. That tank required minimal maintenance and I loved the fish we had in it: picasso trigger, radiata lion, snowflake eel, flagtail grouper, niger trigger, and a fairy wrasse. When the niger passed, we got a clown trigger. The fish each had their own personalities and we enjoyed them but still missed having an anemone and we've never had but really want a clam. So, the FOWLR was replaced by our 92g corner reef after the FOWLR got invested by a nasty parasite that killed all but 1 fish. My boyfriend and I both spend a lot more time, money and conversation on the reef tank and we both love it. It is so interesting to have all these little critters throughout the tank, and it just feels good inside to have created and maintain a mini ecosystem. While I miss having a radiata lionfish, I won't go back to FOWLR anytime soon and if I did, it would be my 2nd favorite to our reef.

stanlalee

FOWLR is cooler if you have a 300g plus tank where you can keep the cool fish/sharks/rays. anything less and reefs are much cooler.

anonome

My opinion, reef tanks are awesome. Properly placed rock and coral, with growing corralline, and you have the inside of the ocean right in front of you.
Checking all the perameters once a week......goes with the love of the reef tank.
Having people come over and see the tank..... priceless.