Reef46: 95gal Wave Tank Diary

reef46

Alrighty. I went and spoiled myself with a 95 wave tank compliments of Nine28girl. I got the tank from her about a week or so ago and I now have about 60 gallons of water cycling. I plan on moving all the contents of my 46bowfront to the new tank. Since I am waiting a few weeks for the cycle to complete I decided to start on a DIY canopy. Which is turning out to be alot more time consuming than your typical rectangular canopy. I'll be posting pics as I progress in the set up of the tank and if anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.
Here's a pic of the tank and stand cycling with a few pc's of LR

The next two pics show the start of the frame for the canopy.

Alright thats all I have for now but you'll be hearing more from me

shrimpi

wow what a pain to make a wave-style canopy. looks like you did a great job with the outline so far!
Wave tanks are so unique.
Is it going to be a barebottom? What critters from your other tank are gonna be transfered to this one? What kinda lights are you going to do?

reef46

I am getting my LS tomorrow at the LFS I'm going with a SSB. I'm leaning towards T5's I can't afford all the lights that I want so i'm going to retro fit a couple bulbs at a time till I get about 300-400 watts. Transfers from the other tank include 50+lbs LR, 2 percs, Lawnmower Blenny, Hippo Tang, various softies and frogspawn, and cleaning crew.

shrimpi

t5 will be more than fine. you dont have to have crazy lighting, its just preference. sounds like you are in for alot of fun and a nice project.
Good luck setting her up and keep us posted with pics! Very nice tank.

reef46

Well just got back from the LFS and bought myself 40lbs of dry argonite and 20lbs of LS. I prob restarted the cycle when I added the LS but it's alright I was only a few days into it anyway. I'll post some pic of the tank with sand when the water clears. :)

reef46

Still waiting for the water to clear. The canopy is almost complete. I just have some staining/painting and some hardware to add. It should be done in the next couple of days!
I've got a question that probably should go in the equip/diy sec but i'm gonna ask anyway. I am building this canopy for t-5 however was thinking maybe...just maybe go MH. The top of the canopy is sitting about 7 inches above the tank and 8inches over the water. Would this be enough room for a retrofit MH unit? If not it's no biggie just checking my options.

reef46

I'll be done with the construcion phase tonight and will begin the painting and add the final hardware. I just ordered a T5 retrofit kit. Only enough to run 2 bulbs right now. (i'm waiting for the paycheck to come then bye bye money
) anyhoo I'll definatly update the pics tonight.

nine28girl

Wow, already finished with the canopy?!! I can't wait to see it. Please show us some pics!! How's everything else going with the new setup?
Sam

reef46

Here are some updated pics of the canopy. I'm going to call it a night on the painting. I put two coats of kilz on the inside of the canopy...this is the worst part because I hate painting.
I cant wait for the cycle to be over so I can get everything transfered and show for the real fun to begin!

Its looking great! Are you putting doors on the front of the canopy or are you going to some how put a cover on? Can't wait till you move your 46 over!

reef46

I'm building doors that will match the stand. I dont have them on because when I paint the rest of the canopy I don't want my stain work to get ruined.

reef46

Hey sam, I havnt had the pump running since I got it to work. But if it does not run when it comes time to get the whole system running I know how to handle it!
I don't have any updates really. I was just in a car accident and really do not have alot of time right now to work on the tank. I should get some free time this weekend and get some updated pics of the canopy and plumbing up by Monday.
I did however get my retrofit kit in the mail..
..however it didnt come with any instructions so I'll have to post some pics of my parts and see if anyone can give me a hand. Thanks and have a great day!

aquaknight

Wow, looks good! Really nice work with the canopy too. I was glad you guys were okay after the accident, sounded really scary over the phone lol.

reef46

Yeah, that was a doosy but as you could see we were both ok

You'll have to let me know how that tank does for you. I went ahead and fraged that red shroom and the xenia frags I have rubberbanded to my larger xenia rock. the tang is doing great, already picking at my rockwork. He'll be real happy in his new home.
It was nice to meet you and your brother. So good luck with the 115 and have fun with it!

aquaknight

Glad everything is taking well. How's the tang doing with the other fishes? He was always a bit fussy whenever I added new tankmates. He's probably just glad to be in that 46! lol. I definitely plan on a nice tank log too. Any updates?